Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: Sioux and Van Dorn combo

Thanks much. Sending pm
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #22
CA Victoria

GB
If you are interested I picked up an old B&D valve seat grinder and stone dresser.
No attachments but it sounds like you have everything but these parts.
Send me an email with your email for pictures and more info.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #23
GB SISSON

I want to sincerely thank the last two posters on this thread for their generosity. We have still been putting in long days at work and all the weekends have been company, trips off island and family commitments. I finally got to get more involved today with the valve job. Lots of good usable valves and parts and today after work I cleaned up the B & D seat grinder and installed a new cord and plug and it works great. The switch is a mechanical wonder. It is extremely well made and has a brass trigger which rotates a ratcheting cog driving a square cam. There are two heavy brass stems outside of the square cam. Two of the cam's opposing sides have brass contacts and the other two are the bakelite cam alone. Thus, every other squeeze of the trigger switches it on. One full squeeze and it's on and stays on. Next squeeze and it's off. It's quite a beautiful power tool. Buck Rogers would have been proud to own it. I understand now why my 12 v cordless drill wouldn't spin it fast enough. The plate on this thing says 12,000 rpm. I'll get a picture tomorrow because it's getting late. . Now I'm thinking of buying some new stones. The thread size is 9/16 fine thread. I see that they are available but what material do I want for the stones? Are these ford hardened seats made of steel, iron or stellite? Thanks again, GB zzzzzzzzz
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #24
Ronnie

The stones aren't 9/16" fine thread.

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #25
GB SISSON

The thread on the stone holders measures .0562 and I see 9/16" threaded stones are available online. 5/8 and 11/16 are also available. It certainly isn't a coarse thread. I took some photos of my digital caliper on the threaded portion but of course they won't download to my computer this morning for some reason.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #26
flatheadmurre

B&D can be either 11/16 OR 9/16 i have both sizes.
Stones comes in more flavours then icecream....a set of standard cast and a set of hard stones and you should be able to get -32 to -53 done.
The different brands stating to be superior over another doesn´t matter much if you do a few engines for your self.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Ronnie

You have to read the info on stones closer.The stones are 9/16 x 16 .
9/16" fine thread is 18 tpi. 9/16" NC thread is 12 tpi.This is how mis information is spread on a forum. Just sayin.No need to post a pic.
This is done to make the stones preparatory.
R
Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #28
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
B&D can be either 11/16 OR 9/16 i have both sizes.
Stones comes in more flavours then icecream....a set of standard cast and a set of hard stones and you should be able to get -32 to -53 done.
The different brands stating to be superior over another doesn´t matter much if you do a few engines for your self.
http://www.silver-seal.com/category/...s.2_for_sioux/

http://www.silver-seal.com/category/...ck_and_decker/

http://www.silver-seal.com/category/..._for_kwik_way/

The driver is what dictates the stone thread size.

R
Old 05-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #29
Ronnie

There is a bushing available to put the 11/16 stones on a 9/16 b&d stone driver.

R
Old 05-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #30
Kurt in NJ

I have used whatever stone fit the size, the wrong stone will need trying more often and may pick up some metal from the seat which I have picked off with a sharp tool, then surfaced stone for final finish -- have used white, red, grey stones on the same seat

If the stone holders quacks lightly oil the pilot, wipe it clean often to remove grinding grit
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
You have to read the info on stones closer.The stones are 9/16 x 16 .
9/16" fine thread is 18 tpi. 9/16" NC thread is 12 tpi.This is how mis information is spread on a forum. Just sayin.No need to post a pic.
This is done to make the stones preparatory.
R
I have heard stories of companies making parts with unusual thread pitch or off sets or anything out of the norm so you have to order the proprietary parts from them and only them. Almost a dirty trick, but also kind of clever business approach.......