Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
em1davis

Default 47 Tudor drums

I know there has been a few discussions about removing drums but I want to make sure of all my options before I buy the hub puller go that route.

I have a very stuck drum is it possible to remove the drum without using a hub puller and going through the fun of regreasing and such.

If I do pull the hub and drum together how do I separate them once they are apart.

Thanks for the help

Jason Davis
em1davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 47 Tudor drums

If the drum isn't "stuck" it probably wasn't torqued down enough and you may have other problems (like a crack starting to form in the axle). Once the drum and hub is removed you need to find someone with the proper tools and the knowledge how to use them or you will ruin the hub and/or drum. This is one of those "don't try this at home" tasks. For what it is worth I like the reproduction KR Wilson puller but search the archives and be sure to get one that pulls from the groove on the snout and not the lug bolts. If I remember correctly Mac Van Pelt rents the puller http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm. Your local Model A or Early V8 club might have one in their tools to loan (or rent to a non member). If you post your general location (and put it in your profile) someone may volunteer to loan you one and even help you use it.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 03-30-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by em1davis View Post
I know there has been a few discussions about removing drums but I want to make sure of all my options before I buy the hub puller go that route.

I have a very stuck drum is it possible to remove the drum without using a hub puller and going through the fun of regreasing and such.

If I do pull the hub and drum together how do I separate them once they are apart.

Thanks for the help

Jason Davis
The hub and drum are one unit. They are not normally separated. Yes you need the hub puller.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Kube

Are you referring to a rear drum? If so, it can be done without a puller but trust me, you will have learned a few new words during the laborious process. Like I said, it can be done without a puller but yikes - what a job!
Anyway, I suggest you do yourself a favor and purchase a GOOD puller. The KR Wilson reproduction is without question the best there is.

Some of the later drums were two piece. If that's what you happen to have, the hubs need to be pressed off, a job any machine shop can perform quickly and reasonably.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
em1davis

Yep the rear drum. Well the other wheel came apart real easy like.

here are pics of it.
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/ph...ource=apppromo

So did I mess up the other wheel now?
em1davis is offline   Reply With Quote