Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
flatjack9

Default 11" clutch

Rebuilt an engine for a 51 F-2. Installed a new 11" pressure plate and it hits the bellhousing. Where do you buy a decent plate these days? I know, Fort Wayne, but what is the deal with these? Surely they aren't the only ones in the market. I should note that the engine did have an 11" plate in it originally.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #2
49r

Default Re: 11" clutch

I have a 49 F1 that came out of the factory in NZ with an 11 inch pressure plate and disc connected to the heavy duty 3 speed box. I got a new pressure plate off Macs a couple of years ago (disc from C&G) after they assured me it was made in New York - 'just down the road'. It appears to be well made, fits and and works well, although I had to grind a whisper off each of the three fingers as they were slightly long.
49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Rebuilt an engine for a 51 F-2. Installed a new 11" pressure plate and it hits the bellhousing. Where do you buy a decent plate these days? I know, Fort Wayne, but what is the deal with these? Surely they aren't the only ones in the market. I should note that the engine did have an 11" plate in it originally.
I get all my clutch and pressure plates from Fort Wayne. I think there the only ones that make there own in the US. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Fort Wayne Clutch is just a rebuilder as far as I know. They can rebuild an original Borg Warner Long type pressure plate and do it for a decent price but the aftermarket non-Borg Warner clutches are out there too. Most of the OEM 11-inch truck clutches I've worked on over the years used the cast half bell instead of the pressed one. I don't know if this was for any form of clearance or just different suppliers for FoMoCo. The aftermarket clutches may have slightly larger flyweight arms or a slightly different pressing of the cover depending on the die that was used. If it was made in the 3rd world there is no telling.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
flatjack9

This one has the cast bell and the cover is definetly taller. I did try one for a Y block and the fingers were longer and I didn't feel comfortable grinding them down. Think I'll go with a 10" setup and avoid any more headaches.

Last edited by flatjack9; 12-05-2012 at 10:08 AM.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote