Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Clem Clement

Default Plugged gas tank valve

I've got to drain a gas tank. It is 1/2 full.

I'm thinking first to try again to blow the junk back into the tank with compressed air and then drain the tank thu the gas line.

Failing that method, I'll try a syphon process.

Failing that I guess I get to remove the shut off valve and drain the tank into coffee cans inside the car.

Then how do I get the dirt out? So far magnets have not kept the junk out of the valve. I will be installing a filter in the valve inlet.
Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
ScottNW/Ohio

Default Re: Plugged gas tank valve

I think you are on the right plan - careful with the air pressure, a giant blast could really make a mess.
You may have to pull the tank to really get it clean - although I'd try filling the tank with a solvent of some type - got to be SOMETHING out there cheaper than gasoline and finding some way to aggitate the dirt loose - that would be WAY easier than pulling the tank
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
Hook

I recently had the same problem. I removed the fuel line from the shut off valve and put a piece of hose on the shut off valve. I used a hose clamp to make it tight on the shut off valve, and ran the hose into a gas can outside the vehicle. When the flow would stop, I gave the hose a quick shot of air to blow the debris off the shut off valve opening in the tank. It took a quite a few shots of air, but finally got the tank drained. I then removed the shut off valve so the opening in the tank would be as large as possible. I ran the gas I had just drained through a filter in a funnel to get the big stuff and ran it back through the tank in small amounts in order to flush out the tank. Then I installed the pencil filter in the gas shut off valve and put everything back together.
No gas delivery problems now.
I thought about using diesel fuel to flush the tank as it's not as combustible as gas.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
Clem Clement

Thank you. I like your process and will copy it. I have a snow funnel which will take care of any water as well as rocks and bricks in the old gas. Also I like the air and hose idea as I can hold the open end of the hose higher that the tank and blow compressed air in without the gas running all over the interior. Ths old gas is very old so I'm hoping most of the e10 has evaporated out.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
oldmanandakid

I am more than a little spooky about too much handling of gasoline and its fumes. When the kid and I encountered the same problem we first siphoned the the gasoline and took it outside. Then we removed the shut-off valve with a bucket underneath to catch the remaining gas and gunk and quickly moved it outside. All the time with a big ol' fire extinguisher standing by.

Then we plugged the drain hole with a boiler cock that had a piece of clear tubing attached. Next we filled the gas tank to the rim with distilled vinegar and let it sit a couple of days. After which we siphoned off most of the vinegar, leaving about a gallon to drain through the bottom. The tank was allowed to air dry while we filtered the vinegar for a second soak. Before the vinegar went back into the tank the shopvac was used to extract the big pieces that would not fit through the drain hole.

A couple of words of caution here. Don't try to vacuum the tank when it is full of gas fumes and don't ask how I know this, but do be careful not to suck up the gas gauge float. Then the filtered vinegar was poured back into the tank leaving about 3 in of airspace at the top for agitation. We found a solid rubber ball that was a little over-sized for the filler neck and poked two holes in the ball, one for an airgun and the second for a length of plastic tubing formed into a double pig-tail to release the compressed air introduced into the tank. One end of the tubing was stuck just a bit through the ball and the outside end with the pigtails was placed in an empty milk jug to catch the blow by. The rule was that for the next two days anyone walking by the car had to hold the ball tightly in the filler neck and give the solution about 30 seconds of vigorous air agitation with very low pressure, just enough to get it bubbling all around the tank. Hold tight to the ball or you will smell like a big pickle. Don't ask!

On the second draining there was still a remarkable amount of rust drained from the tank. Next it was washed with industrial strength cleaner (Ace Hardware) and rinsed with tap water until it ran clear.

The last step was to pour a couple of gallons of Evaporust into the tank with frequent air agitation during the day. It was then drained and the tank was quickly dried with a hair dryer. I think a final step of drenching with phosphoric acid would have sealed any remaining rust but that was not available to us.

When reassembling the valve and gas line we installed a dirty leg to trap any fugitive rust and crud. Even with all of the above effort we found this was necessary. We used a glass filter, gutted, plugged and turned on end so we could see when it needed cleaning.

Short of removing the tank this is the best we could devise. Good Luck.
oldmanandakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
d.

Clem,
do yourself, your house, and anyone within explosion distance a big favor, and remove the floor boards, disconnect the battery, and run a flexible fuel line down into a container; do all of this outdoors with a fire extinguisher handy.
Even old/bad gas is highly flammable and any spark will ruin any best day you had going. Messing with fuel is a serious undertaking...use all precautions and apply common sense.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
Clem Clement

Thanks d. and all. I will do it outside. I'm frightened with the e10 stuff.