Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Antique Car Insurance and accidents...

Most of us who drive our beloved Model A's have some type of insurance to cover us and our vehicle in case of an accident.

Some coverage is better than others, some may have hidden stipulations for which we are or were unaware of only to find out we were not covered when we thought we were.

I would like to put together a list of questions and concerns to ask the future insurance company of your vehicle in case of an accident.

I would amigine that there are many questions to ask to make sure that we would be covered in any and all instances of some type of accident or damage or whatever the case may be.

So please if you would, think about this and submit to me either by email or here on Fordbarn your concern or question you may have when applying for insurance for your car or truck for which one can ask the agent.

I would hate like heck to hear of someone who thinks he or she has all the coverage on their insurance only to find out they don't.

These questions to the agent will go on my website.

Thanks.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
WTSHNN

Default Re: Antique Car Insurance and accidents...

Do they require a police report?

I hit a deer in my '31 four years ago and the first question was "do you have a police report?" I responded "no, the deer didn't want to involve the authorities." The woman laughed and it didn't come up again but it made me wonder, would some places require an actual report?

-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
Freddie (Memphis)

Pluck...having two "hot rods" (okay...one's the Model A) for over ten years, I've had plenty of opportunity to view others insurance problems from a distance, and I've learned a few things about antique and classic car coverage. Here's my standard list... Note that this pertains to my cars that are NOT driven as daily transportation to and from work, school, shopping, etc.

1. Will they write the policy for "agreed value"? This means you both agree on the car's value BEFORE they underwrite the policy. If the car is totaled, you receive the full agreed upon value...not a depreciated figure.

2. In the event of an accident, will they let YOU find and use your preferred body shop, or repair business?

3. If the car is totalled, will they let you buy the wreck back from them?

4. Does the car have to be stored in a locked garage overnight?

5. Can the car be driven to and from work, school, shopping, anywhere else on an "occasional basis"? (not as primary transportation)

6. Can the car be driven on tours, both local and out of state, as well as on multiple day tours?

7. If the car is damaged, can YOU specify which repair parts will be used to repair the damage?

8. Is there a mileage limit for each year? What is it? What happens if you go OVER the mileage limit while on a tour (see item #6 above).

9. Are there any restrictions for commercial use? (Some may want to rent their car to transport bride/groom, special events, etc.?

10. Are there any restrictions on the garage storage facility? (Some require fire control systems, sprinklers, alarms, locked building, etc.)

11. Are there any restrictions if the car is driven on a race track for non-racing events...ie: parades, displays, club meetings, etc. (Some policies for hot rods plainly state they are null and void if the car is driven on a race track...even for non-race purposes)

There...that's my list.

PS...ask about mutiple-car discounts, too. I'm with Grundy and I get a nice discount for both the Cobra and the "A"...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Steve Wastler

" would some places require an actual report?"

-Tim[/QUOTE]

It is my understanding In Maryland you are required to notify the state police when striking a deer with a vehicle. I'm sure most probably don't but that is what I was told.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Freddie (Memphis)

I would assume (...and we all know what that means...) that a Police Report would be considered a "formal" record of an accident. (Like you would hit a deer on purpose...LOL! ) I think it's more of a legal requirement that a legal record be made of the accident. And, since of course, no one would ever lie to the PO-leece, anything said to them MUST be the truth, right? (another ).

Over the Christmas Holidays, I managed to get my Navigator's nose smashed in at the Christmas Tree lot when some jackass backed into me as he was backing into a parking place. We weren't in the car, and the other driver sped off before I could get his license number, or exchange any information....so basically, it was a hit-n-run, but it was on PRIVATE property. I naturally called my insurance agent, State Farm, the next business day and he informed me that could do nothing because there was no Police accident report filled out, and suggested I contact the Sheriff's Dept to inquire what had to be done. The nice folks at the Sherriff's Dept told me to "c'mon down" and they would complete a report for the record. I explained what had happened, on private property, other guy drove off...etc, etc. The Deputy filled out the report...listed a two-tone blue-and-white Ford pick'em up as the offender, and BANG! that was that. I received a copy of the report, filed it with State Farm and they fix our car...less my deductible, of course.

Bottom line is...the Deputy filled out the accident report on a Monday, but the accident happened on Saturday morning. When I inquired, they said it was normal and happened all the time....an accident report getting filled out DAYS after the original accident occurred, and with no formal on site investigation. Made me wonder how many accidents are incorrectly documented...

Oh well...just my experiences...

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Dusty

Along these lines can anyone comment on how Hagerty has been to deal with as far as making an accident claim.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Bruce,Upstate NY

I wonder about camper trailer on a trip, or a single wheel trailer with suitcases in it. Two As traveling might be a club activity: how about one?
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Jerry Parr WI

Add to the list any driver restrictions. Most of the antique only insurers have at least age restrictions.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Along these lines can anyone comment on how Hagerty has been to deal with as far as making an accident claim.

dusty
Yes, I lost this car

to a shop fire

and had Hagerty insurance. They paid off the full agreed value in a timely fashion.

Shortly before the fire the car was smashed at the Grand Canyon while on my way out to CA from MI. Hagerty cut me a check for the damage without any hassles at all. My father has had a number of claims with Hagerty as well. Never a hassle.

With all that being said we both have Grundy on our cars now because of the price difference for the exact same coverage.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Deluxe Delivery Don

What about if you are trailing your A and an accident happens does this go on your Modern Policy or Model A Policy?
Deluxe Delivery Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Chuck Sea/Tac

In Wash. I was re-ended in my work van ,on a very busy freeway. I just wanted to get out of there. I later picked up a form from the WASP,(washington State Patrol) filled it out as best as I could, sent it in. Then got it back, saying it was incomplete. So I tossed it in the garbage. Her insurance, from Chicago paid it off no problem. Now that insurance co. bought my insurance co. Small world!
Chuck
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe Delivery Don View Post
What about if you are trailing your A and an accident happens does this go on your Modern Policy or Model A Policy?
I can only speak from my experience, my '47 Chevy was on a flatbed being towed when the $5,700 worth of damage happened. Covered no issues by my insurance company Hagerty. Thats how it works, YOU are insuring YOUR car no matter what happens to it, where it happens, or who is at fault, even if it is you being or doing something stupid that causes damage to your own car. It is covered and you get your car fixed by YOUR classic car insurance company period. Your classic car insurance company then subrogates with the at fault persons insurance company.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
Ron in Quincy

If you take the "Model A Times" my experience with Grundy Insurance Co. is covered in a Letter to the Editor in the last issue . All I can say "I wouldn't have any other antique car insurance except Grundy"

Ron Rude
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
All I can say "I wouldn't have any other antique car insurance except Grundy"

Ron Rude
I completely agree Ron. I've had Grundy for Big Olds for 9 years now and I can't ever see myself changing.