Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2024, 11:51 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Installing New Brake Rods on 31 Cabriolet as part of total restoration

I have reached the point where it is time to install the brake rods. All other brake parts have been replaced as necessary. Is there a paper written which gives the lengths of each brake rod and the proper sequence of the installation?
Should all the brake adjusters be completely backed off? Are all the brake rod length adjusters located at the brake cross shaft? Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 11:58 AM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Installing New Brake Rods on 31 Cabriolet as part of total restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I have reached the point where it is time to install the brake rods. All other brake parts have been replaced as necessary. Is there a paper written which gives the lengths of each brake rod and the proper sequence of the installation?
Should all the brake adjusters be completely backed off? Are all the brake rod length adjusters located at the brake cross shaft? Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed - no particular sequence on installing the brake rods (I presume you mean the ones that go from the cross shafts to the arms on the backing plates) other than install them after the drums are on the axles. For the rear rods, I find it easier to install the brake end first, then the cross-shaft end. Adjuster end goes forward (cross shaft end on the rear rods, brake actuating arm end on the front rods). Yes you should back off on the adjusters. Les Andrew's Red Book gives a spec for pre-adjustment of the brake rods, my recollection is for the service brakes it's 51-1/2" eye center to eye center but definitely double check that (I don't have my Red Book handy).

For the e-brake rods, no clicks on the handle (full forward) should have the drums running free, one click should start to have drag, two clicks should give significant but equal drag on the rear wheels. A very hard pull to the third click should lock both wheels up solid. Check both going forward and backward. You will likely have to do this after the car is running. Adjust the rods accordingly.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 05-23-2024 at 01:41 AM.
JayJay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:59 PM   #3
nkaminar

Default Re: Installing New Brake Rods on 31 Cabriolet as part of total restoration

At one point in the production of the Model A the brake rods were non adjustable. Once they are set to the correct length they should not be adjusted. The Service Bulletins shows the correct length.

Set the length of the brake rods in the front so that the levers are 15 degrees angled forward. In the rear set the brake rods so that the levers are angled 5 degrees towards the rear. Do not change the length of the brake rods to adjust the brakes. Use the adjusters. If you cannot get the brakes to come into adjustment in the front, add one or more "pills" (shims) under to rods that go through the king pins.

Follow JayJay's advice for adjusting the emergency brakes.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 05-22-2024 at 05:33 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:32 PM   #4
Y-Blockhead

Don't forget to install the "anti-rattlers" on the brake rods.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:58 AM   #5
Rob Doe

Ed, as a Model A "Novice" myself, here is an excellent youtube video that I used to quickly advance my knowledge of the Model A brake systems. You can purchase copies on CD from the vendors, but someone has posted it on the internet.

I own a copy of the film and have watched it at least a dozen times. On occasion, I review it again. Read the Les Andrews red book and study this video. When the presenter is assembling the parts to the car, use the stop and back button and watch exactly the order and position of the parts as he places them. Sequence and angles matter. The parts can be placed by hand if you're a younger person, but I use the "pistol grip" looking brake shoe tool that is available from Mike's Affordable and other vendors. It makes installation of the shoes and springs very easy. Eye protection is advisable when placing the springs, especially the e-brake springs on the rear. I tie a ribbon of colored material to those 4 springs as when they leave unexpectedly, they can disappear into thin air, LOL.

I found when researching the how-to's of Model A brakes that there are different opinions on how to adjust them. The Ford Service Bulletins describe how the dealer was supposed to do it, and this video has a good description of that. It does however, include a description of when to adjust the lengths of the rods to remove operational slack in the system. In my mind, adjusting this slack out of the rods moves the braking action closer to the top of the pedal than is otherwise achieved.

I am a novice here, but we have driven our coupe ~ 20,000 miles in 3 years time. As the components of the brakes have worn, I've certainly made adjustments to the adjustment wedges, but I've also taken up slack in the rods. The linings are nearing their service life, yet the car stops as it should, when the pedal is pushed. I use an infra red temperature tool to make fine point adjustments to the brakes after working on them or having the drums off to grease the bearings.

Good luck and have fun, it's all about the "Model A Experience".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GFMJ7iiWiI&t=4s
Old 05-23-2024, 09:22 AM   #6
Canton_Model_A's

Speaking of E-Brake, when I got my Tudor, it had no E-Brake. When I redid all the brakes, I left the e-brake pads out of the equation. I need the cross-bar and associated hardware. Anyone know where I can acquire these items? I really want the e-brake for parking instead of using wheel chocks and reverse.

Model A Ford Club of America
Model A Restorers Club
Motor City A's Club
Canton_Model_A's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:21 AM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canton_Model_A's View Post
Speaking of E-Brake, when I got my Tudor, it had no E-Brake. When I redid all the brakes, I left the e-brake pads out of the equation. I need the cross-bar and associated hardware. Anyone know where I can acquire these items? I really want the e-brake for parking instead of using wheel chocks and reverse.
Give Steve at Bert's a call. He should be able to supply you with everything you need for your parking brake.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:36 AM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Doe View Post
Ed, as a Model A "Novice" myself, here is an excellent youtube video that I used to quickly advance my knowledge of the Model A brake systems. You can purchase copies on CD from the vendors, but someone has posted it on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GFMJ7iiWiI&t=4s
I have watched this video before and it has a lot of good info. One thing I noticed just now while watching it again, I believe he installed the axle key back-wards and upside down. The taper should go towards the differential with the taper down. The axle keyway gets shallower toward the diff.

Screen shot from video:

Worn or broken keys can cause many problems. Taper end of key toward differential with the taper down. (Keep a spare key in your tool box.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 8.17.32 AM.jpg (10.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 05-23-2024 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:42 PM   #9
Canton_Model_A's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Give Steve at Bert's a call. He should be able to supply you with everything you need for your parking brake.
Thanks Y-Blockhead, contacted Steve, and the parts will ship out today.

Model A Ford Club of America
Model A Restorers Club
Motor City A's Club
Canton_Model_A's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:50 PM   #10
Rob Doe

Thumbs up Re: Installing New Brake Rods on 31 Cabriolet as part of total restoration

Blockhead, I made the same mistake watching the video again this morning. Back up just a bit. The key has a bevel on two ends, opposite sides. Almost every sentence the presenter says is important.

I'd like to have that chassis.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:47 PM   #11
2speed

Les Andrews book gives a length to set the brake rods to. Then it says to pull the rods/levers to take all the slack out of the system, which changes the length. Then if you watch Paul Shinn's video he sets the wedge and then monkeys with all the brake rod lengths to get even braking.

What's the proper length? When you find out, let me know.
2speed is offline   Reply With Quote