Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2024, 05:59 PM   #1
dialindicator

Default 1934 Fordor roof

Can anyone explain how a 1934 sedan roof is assembled. Can I safely pry up the upper metal strip? What holds it in position? There is a fibrous material in the center of it, what is its purpose? I want to replace the roof material as it was originally done but need more information to know how it is put together. Thanks

Bruce Aldo
Prescott, AZ
dialindicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 02:16 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1934 Fordor roof

Mistake

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-13-2024 at 10:41 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:02 AM   #3
rockfla

A few pictures to maybe help you with what you're asking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33tackstrip.jpg (10.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 33TopTackStrip1.jpg (72.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 33TopTackStrip2.jpg (114.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 33TopTackStrip4.jpg (102.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 33TopTackStrip6.jpg (69.4 KB, 74 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:35 AM   #4
DavidG

As Robert's photos show, there is an inner channel which is filled with compressed waterproof paper that the out top fabric is attached to. That inner channel is riveted to the inner perimeter of the opening in the roof. Unlike in a '32, there is no wood beneath the inner perimeter.

Once the outer top material is attached to the inner channel, the outer channel shown in Robert's first and last photos is attached over the inner channel and tacked into place. Sealer is applied to the tack heads at each step and the job is finished with a shaped rubber strip that insets into the outer molding to cover the heads of the tacks.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:29 AM   #5
Karl Wescott

A couple questions.

I note in the second photo what appears to be a clip over the junction between the new and old tack strips... Am I correct, and is this stock? If stock was it also used 1932?

I also see where the chick wire is terminated on the sides by a heavier wire. What size wire? Again, is this stock and was it common to 1932?

Is there a "standard reference" published with this information I don't know about? If not should we as a clan be gathering notes for a "Common Upholstery Practice as Used by Ford 1932-1948"?
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:49 AM   #6
dialindicator

To all who have replied, a very big thank you. The answers you have given and the pictures are what I needed to understand how it is put together.

Karl, I searched for hours on the internet and found little information. The very best is right here in this thread.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:26 AM   #7
flatmanweb

Also be advised that if the final metal trim strip has never been removed before, there are 2 machine screws near each corner that go also hold the metal trim down and go all the way through the fiber tack rail and body lip and have a nut on the bottom. The nuts can only be accessed if the headliner is not in place in those areas.
At least that has been the case on the the 1933-1934 sedans i have worked on.
flatmanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 12:22 PM   #8
dialindicator

flatmanweb, happy to have that important bit of information. Fortunately the headliner is not in yet. Thank you.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:29 PM   #9
rich b

Last '33 we did the compressed paper was 80% gone so we removed the rest of it, then drilled the rivets and removed the thin metal channel that held the paper. It was in good shape so we had it powder coated black, we then reinstalled the channel using pop rivets along with sealer between the channel and body. Once that was in place we put new plastic tack strip into the channel, holding it under the outer lip as it was narrower than the original paper. We also put sealer under it and secured it with more pop rivets. The wire, padding and topping was then installed as normal. Luckily the original top molding was complete and in good shape, so we had it powder coated and then installed as normal.

I've taken apart quite few '33-'34 tops and have never seen a trim clip like in rockfla's picture over where the ends butt up. Interesting to see that clip.
rich b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2024, 03:29 PM   #10
dialindicator

I have it all apart and am in the process of cleaning things up and removing all tacks. There is some sort of sealer that was applied over the tack strip that covers the crack between the tack strip metal and the roof edge. Can anyone suggest what works as a sealer? Thanks