Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2024, 10:23 AM   #1
jetrod

Default cooling system rust

Gents,This spring I drained my antifreeze and the color was rusty brown. (It was NAPA-green) So after searching "the barn" I decided to use the vinegar treatment. Sooo, I put in 2-1/2 gal. of vineger, drove it for about 50 miles over about 10 days, drained the system, poured the contents (a putrid foamy stinky mess) into a laundry tub--let it set overnight--and a crusty flacky floating layer was laying on top of the liquid (brown). I then drained off the fluid,leaving a pile of flaky granules as shown in pile #1 in the attachment. Soooo, I flushed the system with water and repeated the vinegar treatment. See pile #2--same process--same result!! Soooo, I repeated 2 more times see pile #3 & #4 with the same results. I was gaining by removing a lot of crud , but after 10 gallons of vinegar and 200 miles of driving and with no end in sight, I went back to "the barn" and found that some had used Evaporust-Thermocure so I tried that product. 1 guart of the product and 2 1/2 gal of water, 4 hours of driving over 10 days and it was time to drain the system.---2 1/2 gallons of the Blackest looking liquid I've ever seen--no grit just Black liquid. So according with the products instructions I flushed the system 4 times with water and WALA, clear water!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rust.jpg (43.4 KB, 41 views)
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 10:56 AM   #2
Bob Johnson

Thumbs up Thermocure

I have used Thermocure on several radiators and it worked well for me. After the system is clean I use a rust inhibitor to keep the rust from coming back. I use Napa 1300.
Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 05:18 PM   #3
nkaminar

Default Re: cooling system rust

The Evaporust puts the rust in solution and will turn the liquid black as you found out.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:57 PM   #4
Synchro909

After reading this, it seems to me that the Thermocure/ Evaporust combination is about the same as our liquid intelligence No 239 product. https://liquidintelligence.com.au/pr...m-cleaning-kit. Prices quotes are Australian dollars, not US.
One is made here so it's cheaper here, the other is foreign made so it is more expensive here. I suspect the end results are very similar.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:42 PM   #5
SHEC

Western US car it’s entire life… family owned since 1958 and purchased from
original owner. We have never used antifreeze (since 1958), and I have used Evaporust twice in the car - that still has its original radiator. Very pleased with result. As a further safeguard I use distilled water.
I drive it all year and it is always garaged at night. Both the vinegar and Evaporust techniques seem to give positive results. Happy Spring/Summer driving folks.
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote