Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
55blacktie

Default Speedometer Angle Drive

Is there a trick to removing the speedometer angle drive from a Fordomatic transmission? I removed the retaining screw/bolt, but the angle drive won't budge. Once removed, how much ATF will leak out?

I'm preparing to pull the engine & transmission from my 55 Tbird. I've disconnected the speedometer cable from the speedometer and pulled it through the floor and out of the passenger compartment, but it's still attached to the angle drive on the transmission. There isn't sufficient space to remove the cable from the angle drive; for that reason, Gil Baumgartner recommended attaching the cable to the transmission before installing the transmission. I could just leave the cable attached, but I'm concerned that it might get hung up/be in the way while removing the engine and transmission. I've even considered cutting off the cable because a C4 transmission, which uses a different cable, will replace the Fordomatic.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Speedometer Angle Drive

I don't remember any problem removing the angle drive in my 56 but maybe some gentle taps from a hammer will do it. There is noting else holding it in besides the clip. Might try some PB Blaster or similar penetrant

When I put in the C4 in my 56, I had to go with an angle drive because of the space issue. Had it made. One of those unexpected costs.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 08:58 PM   #3
55blacktie

Did you use the angle drive off the original transmission for the C4 conversion? 57 Tbirds don't use the angle drive, and the 57 speedometer cable and driven gear will work on the C4. When it comes time for the install, I will insert the cable into the C4 before putting the engine and transmission in the car.

I have not yet drained the ATF, but will. How much fluid should I expect to leak out when the angle drive is removed?

Thanks, Paul.

P.S. I still owe you a stamp, but I haven't converted the rear drums to automatic adjusters yet.
Old 11-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #4
paul2748

You cannot use the 55 angle drive because the trans ends are different as you mentioned. The angle dive I got has the proper trans end for the 57 and up style (gear clipped on). the cable end of the angle drive was the same as the speedo end. Also had to get a custom length cable

Stamp ??
Old 11-01-2023, 08:49 PM   #5
55blacktie

How much leakage when the angle drive is removed?
Old 11-02-2023, 07:01 PM   #6
paul2748

Honestly, I don't remember any leakage. I've replaced gears in my three cars and can't remember any of them leaking when changed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55blacktie View Post
How much leakage when the angle drive is removed?
Old 11-02-2023, 09:18 PM   #7
rjlester

Ya I just changed the speedo gear in my 57, maybe a couple drops, but that was it. I also thought there would be a bunch of fluid running out, but it was just a couple drops off the gear as I pulled it out. Minimal to zero mess.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:30 PM   #8
55blacktie

Thanks, rj.