Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2023, 08:50 PM   #1
Bob from Northport

Default 54 Mwercury-radio recommendations

Looking for a solution to having a good radio in my Merc. 6 volt system-no plans to change the electrical system.. What's a good reliable idea to install a 12 volt radio into a 6 volt car.??? Recommendations???

Last edited by Bob from Northport; 11-01-2023 at 08:58 PM.
Bob from Northport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
rjlester

Default Re: 54 Mwercury-radio recommendations

I took the non working factory radio out of my 54 Meteor ( Canadian Ford model, with a Mercury dash) and had it repaired by a local antique radio repair guy. My car is the original 6 volt positive ground and he was able to add FM to the factory radio. To use the FM, you just turn on the radio, and it will be in AM. Quickly turn it OFF and ON again, it will be in FM mode. To switch back to AM, just turn it off and on again. If your car sits overnight, or for days/weeks, it will stay in whatever mode it was in before.

Once I got the radio installed, I was thrilled with how well it worked. Next, I bought a 6 volt to 12 volt converter on Amazon, and installed a 12 volt power port in the ashtray. Then I bought a 12 volt Bluetooth to FM transmitter and also installed it in the ashtray. I now connect my phone to the Bluetooth transmitter, and tune in the radio to my PHONE! It's fantastic!! I use spotify and also have some music stored on my phone. I can even take phone calls while I'm driving, the transmitter has a microphone in it. It's not the best for phone calls, but for music it's great. It gives my music that old school AM sound through the mono speaker. People are really shocked that I can close the ashtray, and everything looks stock.

There are several radio repair guys in both Canada and the US, most of them will be able to fix up your radio to play FM music.

Someday I'll make a video of how I did this, the radio repair/conversion cost a few bucks (around 600) but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
rjlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 09:38 PM   #3
miker98038

Default Re: 54 Mwercury-radio recommendations

This as near as I can tell is the custom auto sound site. It moves over to classic when you put 54 Mercury in. As to make and model for your car I just took a shot in the dark.

I’ve had varying results with Custom Autosound over the years. They work, but if it’s got a digital read out in can be hard to read in some models. In convertibles in the sun it’s a bitch. My old ones lose the memory when the battery is disconnected, but these new ones might be different. Inputs for blue tooth, phone, etc. Pricey, sit down before you open the link.

They make inverter’s for 6 volt to 12, but if you’re still positive ground you’ll need to,watch that. Been years since I did one, but here’s a start

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/19...o-usa-230.html

Edit. Rj’s comments above are probably a lot more current than mine.

Last edited by miker98038; 11-01-2023 at 09:49 PM.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote