Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2023, 07:09 PM   #1
47topless

Default Distributors need to be grounded?

I know that the starter needs to be grounded to the engine where they mate. Is that also true of the distributor? Do I need to remove any paint that may be on the two surfaces where they meet?
Phil
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:13 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Distributors need to be grounded?

Yes, the distributor needs to be grounded to complete the circuit for the points and condenser.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:19 PM   #3
Krylon32

I don't think I ever ran a specific ground wire to the distributor. I always figured the distributor was grounded thru the block to the frame when I ran my ground cable from the block to the frame? Have I been doing this wrong for all these years?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
Zeke3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I don't think I ever ran a specific ground wire to the distributor. I always figured the distributor was grounded thru the block to the frame when I ran my ground cable from the block to the frame? Have I been doing this wrong for all these years?
I agree, every distributor I am familiar with grounds through its mounting to the engine block.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
JayChicago

The diff between starter and distributor is the amount of current their mounting bolts/surfaces are handling. Starters need lots of good metal to metal to carry the huge current. Distributor is only about 4 amps, which is easily carried to the block by the mounting bolts.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:22 PM   #6
Krylon32

Wouldn't the same be true for the starter as long as the block to frame ground strap was heavy enough?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:10 PM   #7
rich b

Never grounded a starter; how exactly would you do that since it bolted solidly to the engine; same applies to the distributor, solidly fitted to the engine and clamped down besides.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:11 PM   #8
GB SISSON

I think we need to go back to the original post and note that he asked if maybe the painted surfaces might provide a poor grounding path. Some folks like to lay the paint on and I have seen where a ground is inefective because of too much paint. Since I don't sweat the details on my trucks, I sand any ground attachments with 80 grit and paint on some never seize. And yes, if I paint the block, I scrape the paint off the contact surface as well as any on the starter. I hate bad grounds.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:37 AM   #9
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Never grounded a starter; how exactly would you do that since it bolted solidly to the engine; same applies to the distributor, solidly fitted to the engine and clamped down besides.
I’m sure I’ve read posts on here that when someone has had starter issues, they ran a ground connection from the frame directly to a stater bolt......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 07:00 AM   #10
cadillac512

The bottom line is that both distributors and starters need to be grounded. As for requiring extra wires/cables to ground them,no...as long as the mounting surface of both parts is clean and free of paint (and the block is properly grounded) there will be no problems.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:03 AM   #11
47topless

Thank you all for the very good responses. Between removing the distributor and sending it out to be rebuilt, I did remove the timing gear cover and gave it a nice coat of paint. After installing the newly rebuilt distributor, which was bench tested at the shop, I find it does not work on my car.
I will spend today removing the paint on the timing gear cover, where it meets the distributor, reinstall the dizzy and see if that was my problem.
Stay tuned!
Old 05-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47topless View Post
Thank you all for the very good responses. Between removing the distributor and sending it out to be rebuilt, I did remove the timing gear cover and gave it a nice coat of paint. After installing the newly rebuilt distributor, which was bench tested at the shop, I find it does not work on my car.
I will spend today removing the paint on the timing gear cover, where it meets the distributor, reinstall the dizzy and see if that was my problem.
Stay tuned!
Or, just run a ground wire with a ring terminal at each end.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #13
Reds34

If there is a gasket between the distribubtor and timing cover (which there should be), does it actually matter if there is paint on the mounting surface of the timing cover? It seems more likely that the distributor would ground through the bolts than anything else. Just my thought as I sit here and digest my lunch.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 12:21 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post
If there is a gasket between the distribubtor and timing cover (which there should be), does it actually matter if there is paint on the mounting surface of the timing cover? It seems more likely that the distributor would ground through the bolts than anything else. Just my thought as I sit here and digest my lunch.

Red
Good one... you are correct! And the bolt should be plenty. Clean off the ears on the distributor would be next.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:30 PM   #15
cadillac512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds34 View Post

Red

You're right. And yes, the area around the bolts is plenty if it's clean. After all, Ford didn't see any need for extra grounds on the distributors.

Easy enough to test with a volt/ohm meter too.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #16
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
When the oil pan was painted, the area adjacent to the starter was haphazardly masked. Thus, it was (and should be now) free of all paint.
Old 05-06-2023, 01:02 PM   #17
Flathead Fever

Like others have said, the mounting bolt is the ground as long as the case is bare metal under the bolt and the threads are clean in the timing cover. I have never worked on or heard of a ground problem with a distributer. Just jump a wire from the distributer bolt to another ground for a quick check. I have a bunch of wires with alligators' clips for testing circuits.

I think you have another problem, like no voltage to the distributor. If you did have a bad ground, you could turn on the ignition, with the points closed, and find the bad ground using a voltage drop test. You can't guess at this stuff; you need a voltage meter. It makes diagnosing quick.

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 05-06-2023 at 01:09 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 03:07 PM   #18
47topless

Voltage readings: Ignition on, no cranking. At coil terminals, BAT 3.5 V DIST 3.4V
at distributor 2.3V (is this enough?)

Last edited by 47topless; 05-06-2023 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:49 PM   #19
aussie merc

regardless of voltage all points need to be grounded to complete the circuit some rely only on surface contact only while others use a bridge lead to complete the circuit often over looked but years of work can lead to a buildup of crap and therefore bad contact Ohm reading should be ZERO between fixed point and dissy body .Those with vac assemblies tend to suffer more than fixed plate type
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote