Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-01-2023, 09:55 AM   #1
CJStefan

Default 8BA water pump questions

Hey guys bear with me, this is my first time. I have a few questions about doing them. I've done probably 50 water pump replacements on different motors but never on a flathead. I'm replacing the original bolts with stainless from Ace if that matters. Ok, so here are my questions...
A) do the water pump bolts go into oil passages? I pulled the long bolt out of the right pump and one short one out of the left pump and they're both covered in oil, but there was no oil in the antifreeze that was in the radiator and no antifreeze in the oil when I drained it.
B) do I need to use anti seize or thread sealant on any of the bolts?
C) is there a specific torque number I should be shooting for?
D) do I need the gasket to shim the pump out (Jeep 4.0s do) or is Right Stuff good enough by itself
E) is the oil pan strong enough to support the weight of the motor with a block of 2x6 between it and the jack?

I appreciate any info

Last edited by CJStefan; 05-01-2023 at 10:05 AM.
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:22 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: 8BA water pump questions

(A) no (B) yes, antisieze (C) not too important whatever the torque for the 3/8 bolts you are using. Check their grade as many s.s. are softer than the original bolts. (D) no but I only use a sealer on the pump surface and not the block. If you ever had to change pumps with engine in car and had to scrape sealer off block you will know why.( E) yes
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #3
solidaxle

Since this is your first flathead water pump change.I'll mention there is a bolt in the water outlet opening that can only be reached with a socket. Since you cant see it easily, a lot of people don't know it is there.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #4
19Fordy

The 49-51 Mercury Repair Manual states 23 to 28 foot pounds of torque for 1949-51 Mercury OEM steel water pump bolts. I think Ford 8BA bolts are the same torque. 49-51 Lincoln are different torque. Just tighten them up to a firm, snug fit. No needs to "crank down" on those bolts. Best to use stainless. Use antiseize compound. I mix up some antiseize compound with non-hardening Permatex sealer and use that on the bolts. I use non-hardening Permatex on both sides of the gaskets. See hidden bolt hole mentioned by
solidaxle below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3467B.jpg (74.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3566.jpg (40.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3576b.jpg (43.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-01-2023 at 01:55 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote