Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
fundytides

Default 1928-29 Roadsdter Seat Cushion Support

Does the 28-29 Roadster use a piece of wood across the front of the seat riser to support the bottom of spring like the 30-31 does? I picked up some seat springs that are all supposed to be from a 30-31 Roadster but one of them is shaped in such a way that the support in my 31 interferes with the spring. The width and length of the spring is ok but the center section of the spring is thicker than the perimeter section so hits the wooden support. Would this be from a 28-29 roadster? If not, maybe from a pick-up?
fundytides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:34 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: 1928-29 Roadsdter Seat Cushion Support

Yes. The wood piece goes across the middle of the seat riser.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:16 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundytides View Post
Does the 28-29 Roadster use a piece of wood across the front of the seat riser to support the bottom of spring like the 30-31 does? I picked up some seat springs that are all supposed to be from a 30-31 Roadster but one of them is shaped in such a way that the support in my 31 interferes with the spring. The width and length of the spring is ok but the center section of the spring is thicker than the perimeter section so hits the wooden support. Would this be from a 28-29 roadster? If not, maybe from a pick-up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Yes. The wood piece goes across the middle of the seat riser.
Tim is correct. The Ford part number is A-40890 and is correctly called a Seat Frame Bar

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
fundytides

Thanks guys. Looks like my guess was wrong so I don't know what this seat is from. Same size as my 31 Roadster but is designed in such a way that when the perimeter sits on the "ledge" of the metal riser, the rest of the assembly drops down inside the riser except in my case the wood support interferes.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:24 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Thanks guys. Looks like my guess was wrong so I don't know what this seat is from. Same size as my 31 Roadster but is designed in such a way that when the perimeter sits on the "ledge" of the metal riser, the rest of the assembly drops down inside the riser except in my case the wood support interferes.
I am guessing it is a Coupe seat spring. Can you post a picture?? One of the quickest ways I tell is by looking at the perimeter of the spring at the bottom. The open vehicles had the material crimped into the seat spring whereas the closed cars used a wood seat cushion frame (i.e.: base) and the fabric was tacked underneath the wood base.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 11-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #6
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am guessing it is a Coupe seat spring. Can you post a picture?? One of the quickest ways I tell is by looking at the perimeter of the spring at the bottom. The open vehicles had the material crimped into the seat spring whereas the closed cars used a wood seat cushion frame (i.e.: base) and the fabric was tacked underneath the wood base.
Thanks Brent. I will try to take a picture tomorrow and post it. This spring does have the crimped edge and no wood base so I don't think it is for a coupe. Do the pick up's also use the wooden reinforcing piece like the roadsters? Maybe it is not Model A at all.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
fundytides

Here's some pics Brent. width and length measurements are the same as the spring for my 31 Roadster and this unknown spring has the crimped edge as well, no wood framework. The major difference in this spring is that the center few rows of coils are deeper than the perimeter rows. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring1.jpg (86.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg spring3.jpg (98.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg spring2.jpg (56.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Here's some pics Brent. width and length measurements are the same as the spring for my 31 Roadster and this unknown spring has the crimped edge as well, no wood framework. The major difference in this spring is that the center few rows of coils are deeper than the perimeter rows. Let me know what you think.
I think it is intended for a Coupe. It was also intended to have a wood base that it was attached to. Below is an excerpt from the Service Bulletins that shows how it was attached to a base and shows the shape of the bottom side of the cushion spring.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat_changes-01.jpg (85.0 KB, 116 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 11-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #9
fundytides

Looks like you could be right. The spring profile looks like the "new design" spring in the picture. I'll check closer tomorrow to see if there is any indications of a crimp channel in the lower frame. Whoever upholstered the seat last used hog rings. If there is no indication of the crimp channel, then the mystery may be solved. Do you know if the Coupe and Fordor cars used seats of the same dimension? Thanks for your interest and help
Old 11-18-2022, 05:30 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I doubt there is any crimping channel. As you likely already know, hog rings were not used.

Without verifying on the prints, my guess is they were different because the Spring Cushion for the 45B used a part number of A-47825 whereas the part numbers for Fordors were different.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 11-21-2022, 02:43 AM   #11
Dan McEachern

I have the same question- 28-29 Roadster- My understanding is that the seat cushion is supported by a single wood slat that sits on angle brackets on each side of the seat riser in the center and the top of the slat sits flush with the seat riser spring support surface. Snyders replacement seat riser catalog picture shows the brackets on each side. Can anyone tell me the thickness and width of that wood slat and how wide the angle brackets are? Seems this arrangement was only used on the open cars. thanks!!
Dan McEachern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #12
fundytides

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I doubt there is any crimping channel. As you likely already know, hog rings were not used.

Without verifying on the prints, my guess is they were different because the Spring Cushion for the 45B used a part number of A-47825 whereas the part numbers for Fordors were different.
Hi Brent. I checked the spring again today and you are right, there are no crimping channels so your idea that it is a 30-31 coupe seat spring is probably correct. From the drawings you provided, I guess it could also be used in the earlier coupes by using the 30-31 wood as well. Thanks for all your help and information. Dave