Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
wrndln

Default 28/29 closed car windshield weatherstripping

I have a question someone that has recently installed weatherstripping on a closed car might be able to answer. The weatherstripping is asymmetrical in that the round part that slides into the metal weatherstrip retainers is offset. I am attaching a picture of the end of the weatherstripping. It appear the weatherstripping should be installed with the more rounded side toward the frame and not against the thin metal retaining part. This would be the top side in the picture installed against the main part of the windshield frame. It will go in either way as I have found, but seems to look better the way I described above (sets smooth against the main part of the frame). I want to make sure it is right before I cut and glue the corners together. I am still trying to figure out how how to install the side weatherstripping to get around the nuts that are in the upper part of the channel where the weatherstripping needs to go. Any help would be great.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: 28/29 closed car windshield weatherstripping

Rusty, I install mine as your picture shows as if you were looking down from the top of the windshield frame on the left (drivers) side. Very good picture by the way.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
wrndln

Thanks Barry, In other words, the protruding rounded part (top side in the picture) went against the main part of the frame, not the thin metal retaining strip? If the rubber is installed that way, the flat outside part of the rubber lays flat and nicely against the main part of the frame. This seems correct. If the rubber is installed the opposite way the outside part of the rubber sticks up a little. I believe you did it right, but I have never installed any weather stripping before so I am not sure. I was lucky with the picture, they usually don't turn out that well for closeups.
Rusty Nelson
Old 03-26-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

That's right Rusty. Without the rubber strip in place there probably would be a 1/8" gap so the offset makes up for that. I've done a few but it was some time ago. The meeting edges of the rubber strips are cut at a 45* angle and I cut the verticals first after the rubber has time to "relax" in position.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
wrndln

Thanks, again, Barry.