Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
fred93

Default 29 Tudor Front Fender Bolts Location and Type

I need some help with a 29 Tudor that I am starting to put back together. When I took the front fenders off there were two (one on each fender) special looking carriage bolts that held the fender to the frame (these bolts went through the fender and the splash apron and they had a larger head than regular carriage bolts). The bolt kit that I purchased has four of these bolts. I am assuming that the second bolt must have held the fender to the frame more towards the front. When I disassembled the car that front bolt was just a regular hex head bolt on both fenders.

So----are there two carriage bolts on each front fender and where are they located on the fender? Also--I have always thought that a carriage bolt must have a square hole that will keep the head from turning--not so?

While I am at it---why do the bolts that attach the front fenders to the splash apron have such a small head? It seems like a regular 1/4" bolt would suffice.

FYI- I posted this question back in 2011 when I first started working on the Tudor. I did not receive any replies back then. Since then I have had one health issue after another, so things stopped for 6 years. Now I am back to working on the Tudor again, this hoping to finish it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carriage bolt.jpg (67.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg fenders-aprons (6).jpg (69.0 KB, 42 views)
fred93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
denniskliesen

Default Re: 29 Tudor Front Fender Bolts Location and Type

Fred, on my Jan 29 Tudor those 2 bolts are 1/4" hex head fine thread. The size of the bolt head is 3/8" and the nut size is 7/16" There is a flat washer under the head of the bolt also. You ask why do the bolts have such a small head. I can only assume so that you don't have to have 2 wrenches the same size for each bolt. A lot of the 7/16" bolts are that way, 5/8" bolt head and 11/16" nut, not all of them but several.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote