Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Magoo2

Default Engine startup after many years

I inherited my fathers 1931 wide body pickup. It ran about 13 years ago. I'm about to start it up. Any pointers as to what I should do prior to starting. I also have a pile of parts that came with the car including 5 engines. I would like to rebuild one of them does anyone know of a tutorial or video with step by step instructions to rebuild an engine?
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:03 AM   #2
jhowes

Default Re: Engine startup after many years

You will find several posts on this site on starting an engine after it has sat for some time. In general look into the valve cover and see if there is any sludge, if so then the oil pan also needs to be cleaned. The fuel system needs to be clean from tank to intake manifold. Third, flush out the cooling system and check the electrical for spark and no shorts. you should be good to go without introducing headaches. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
SeaSlugs

I dont mean to offend but you probably arent going to have the equipment or knowledge to properly pour the bearings in the engine you want to rebuild. They arent like moderns you can buy new inserts and hone to fit. You may get lucky and it not need new bearings but theres a reason those 5 engines arent in cars anymore. There are several engine rebuilders scattered across the country that do a fine job that will rebuild it properly for you.

But yes what jhowes said is correct on everything else. Also check the transmission and rearend and steering box oil levels and regease every grease fitting so you know everything has some.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
burner31

I'll leave all the nut and bolt tech stuff to others.
One thing I would recommend you do is to get a video set-up and ready, start filming when you try to start.
You won't believe the look on your face or the smile that will burst from you face when she finally fires and idles.
You'll want to see it again...and again...and again.
I watch my first start-up (after 54 years) from time to time, and it never fails to make me feel good.
And a BIG welcome to the BARN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (9).jpg (10.9 KB, 9 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
WHN

True story. Found Model A that had been sitting in Up-State New York barn for 35 years.

Pumped up tires, used lawn mower gas in tank, water in radiator, put old battery we found in corner on charger, than went in house for lemonade while battery charged.

30 minutes or so later came out, put battery in car. Hit starter button, it fired right up. I would have driven it home, but clutch was rusted to flywheel. True story.

That car has since been restored, but the engine is still the same. You would swear it had been just rebuilt. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
glenn in camino

Read all the posts about restarting an old Model A engine. The Barn guys know what you need to do.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
Magoo2

Thanks to all of you for the help and advice I have to do some additional research.
Magoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
Chuck Sea/Tac

McGee and McGee a good book on building model A engines available from model A parts suppliers as Brattons, Synders, Bert’s , and others.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
Dodge

On the frozen clutch disc. I have bought a couple of cars that the disc was frozen to the flywheel. I jacked up the cars and put it on axle stands, started it up and ran it to about
40mph then put the clutch in and jammed on the brakes including the parking brake.
After two or three tries they broke loose.
I have heard of the clutch disc coming apart using this method, but its worth a try.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote