Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
5window

Default 1929 Balsam Green-photo needed

I think the 1929 Balsam Green is the color I want to paint my car. Hard to tell from paint chips and the occassional small photo I can find. Can anyone kindly post, or send me via e-mail or PM some good pictures of cars in this color viewed in natural lighting? Many thanks.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: 1929 Balsam Green-photo needed

I was thinking of painting my 29 phaeton Balsam Green. I got a half pint of PPG Concept Balsam Green and it was very, very bright green. I also bought some Bonnie Gray and it should have a greenish tint to the gray. I am going to do a spray test of both colors to see how they look on a larger panel. BTW, when I bought the half pint of Bonnie Gray PPG Concept, it didn't look like the MAFCA Finishing Guide paint chip. It was a straight gray, no greenish tint to it. I then bought a 1/2 pt of Dupont ChromaPremier single stage acrylic urethane and it looked correct. I also had a problem last summer with PPG Concept Copra Drab. The PPG paint was a gray instead of a brown. I finally got some Dupont ChromaPremier Single stage paint and it was the correct color for Copra Drab. PPG doesn't seem to care about model A hobbiest. When I called them, they basically said "that is what we have". Kind of a take it or leave it attitude.

BTW, I have a couple of model A pictures of a phaeton painted Balsam Green. The phaeton doesn't look like Balsam Green, more like Valley or Vagabond Green. I like the Valley Green and Vagabond Green better, but they are not correct for 29 phaetons.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
MCHinson

You will probably find a lot of variation, especially with different lighting conditions. Here is a photo of my 1929 Phaeton. It was painted back in 1989, and I have no idea about the brand of paint on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0653.jpg (83.4 KB, 106 views)
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Gumpy

now thats a beautiful color!!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
wrndln

I have the pictures Jim posted a link to above. He sent them to me some time ago, thanks Jim. If you look closely at MCHinson's balsam green phaeton and the pictures posted by Jim. The two phaeton colors look different. The PPG Concept sample of balsam green I bought a few months back, looks more like MCHinson's phaeton, a brighter green. Can anyone explain why the difference. Is the brighter green correct.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
5window

Thanks,for all the replies and help. I'd be interested in the answer to Rusty's question.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
MCHinson

It is difficult to say how close or how different the colors are based on the photos seen so far. In my photo the car is photographed in open shade. In Jim's photos, the car appears to be in bright sunlight. Depending on the camera used, the exposure might be much shorter and make the colors appear darker in the photos than they appear in person.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote