Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #1
old46ford

Default Paint color?

Need some help... this car has been in the family since new. It was originally tan/sand color and my step-grandpa repainted it back in the 50's. Knowing him, he used an original color. Any guesses? I have removed 60 plus years of oxidation. I was thinking Modern Blue. The car is almost ready to being street drivable. It is completely original, except the repaint 60 years ago and the replacement/rebuilding of the brakes, fuel, electrical systems, tires, cooling, etc... I left the motor alone so far, it runs good. Thanks, Steve
old46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Paint color?

Under the hood is always a great place to start especially the fire wall as "most " of the time on repaints many don't clean, tape and paint the firewall. Usually you can pull back a door panel and look underneath those or loosen a few fender bolts and pull the fender back a little and look between the fender and the body (if those weren't removed for a repaint). Also in the trunk in the tool area and all around the back seat.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
39topless

I think he is asking what color it is now (the repaint). Could that be the infamous, WASHINGTON BLUE ?
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Under the hood is always a great place to start especially the fire wall as "most " of the time on repaints many don't clean, tape and paint the firewall. Usually you can pull back a door panel and look underneath those or loosen a few fender bolts and pull the fender back a little and look between the fender and the body (if those weren't removed for a repaint). Also in the trunk in the tool area and all around the back seat.
Yes, the original color would be under certain components But the question is what is the color now?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
51 MERC-CT

That's what it is, a guessing game. It could be a Ford color or even a non ford color. All computer screens don't see and render colors the same.
Here's a multiple choice, which one is closer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b1.jpg (63.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg b2.jpg (61.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg b3.jpg (62.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg b4.jpg (66.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Capn John

Try some of these!!

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...et+Paint+Codes

By the way go to the top of the page and click on PAINT CHIPS. There are 11 pages of original chips.

Last edited by Capn John; 06-04-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Capn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
old46ford

Thanks, I am looking for possible options of a blue used around the early 50's. It could be anything... which, I understand. I am aware of the original color, since under the hood, trunk, etc... the tan is very visible. Some people tell me to one day repaint it to the original tan color, but if I ever go through the process of repainting the car, I will stick with blue, because that's all my family has ever known the car to be since 60 years ago. For now, I am going to get the car on the road, with the tan showing under the blue in places, dents, scratches, faded paint etc... the car tells a story from all it's marks on the outside. When my boys are older, we'll take it apart and do it up right. I do have NOS fenders to go around the car that he stored away the past 50 plus years. They still have the Ford "OK" stickers on the inside.
old46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
my4dv8

If you want to re paint it the same blue perhaps take it a good shop that has a paint colour reader. Won't tell you the name but you should get a close match.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:09 AM   #9
mike42

I have a paint chart from 1946 if you care to have me send it to you. There are several blues listed on it. I happen to have it as a buddy has a '46 Deluxe.

Mike

[email protected]
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
waterboychuck

Is the paint that bad on the car that you could not buff it out and drive it as is?