Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Default Cast Iron vs Aluminum

whats the better one to choose, Iam hearing that the aluminum head is not as good as the cast iron, then I was told that the aluminum head gasket will corrode faster, the cast iron cant be repaired but the aluminum head can, the cast iron block doesn't always get along with the aluminum head. Confused again.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:29 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Cast Iron vs Aluminum

A good aluminum head should be fine, but, for an every day 'A' I would stick with an iron head.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
Tiny

Wasn't Winfield that said "if you want to win races go cast, if you want to cook dinner go aluminum"
Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Wasn't Winfield that said "if you want to win races go cast, if you want to cook dinner go aluminum"
exactly what I heard
Old 04-03-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
DougVieyra

Aluminum heads are 'finicky' and tempermental. Cast Iron heads are 'bullet proof'.

But there is a large contingent of (mainly 'youth', and 'want to be 'youth') of drivers who like to 'soup' up their cars, what ever they are. These are the same folks who enjoy working on the mechanics of their cars, so it is no big deal.

However for those of us who enjoy driving their cars, and don't the get the full enrichment of the 'grease monkey' experience, a stock cast iron head is a more trouble-free choice.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
40 Deluxe

Aluminum makes a head cheaper to produce, but aluminum transfers heat to the cooling system faster, so combustion chamber temperatures are lower resulting in less power. All else being equal (compression ratio and chamber design) the cast iron head will make more power. An aluminum head must have higher compression to equal or exceed the power of a cast iron head.
The advantage of an aluminum head comes from a more efficient chamber design and higher compression than the stock iron head.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
ronn

I think the aluminum heads are sexier....................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Aluminum makes a head cheaper to produce, but aluminum transfers heat to the cooling system faster, so combustion chamber temperatures are lower resulting in less power. All else being equal (compression ratio and chamber design) the cast iron head will make more power. An aluminum head must have higher compression to equal or exceed the power of a cast iron head.
The advantage of an aluminum head comes from a more efficient chamber design and higher compression than the stock iron head.
would a 6-1 cast iron be equal; to a 7-1 aluminum?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
J Wade

I have a spare engine that I got when I bought my model A, and the cast iron head has been welded, so I assume they can be repaired. It looked like it worked for al long time. You do what you have to get by.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Dollar Bill

My uneducated way of looking at this is the iron would be stronger and offer less flex than aluminum and translates to obtaining a better seal which is a concern with wide spacing of head studs in the "A" motor.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I think the aluminum heads are sexier....................
TIMES TWO !
Why only last evening, I had to chase away a '32 three window with a rusty old 4.6:1 cast iron (uggg!) head ...from trying to get up close/personal with my '30 roadster with her 8:1 Super Winfield...sunsofbiskit !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #12

Iam still confused
Old 04-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
DougVieyra

1928 : "I'm still confused."

Don't be. If you like working on cars, get the Aluminum head. If you would rather spend your time driving the Model A - keep a Factory Recommended (actually, Auto Industry recommended) Cast Iron head on your engine block.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:52 AM   #14
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Iam still confused
Hey 1929,
With what you've described to me as to what equipment you intend to install in your B engine, and the 'hurry' that you are in to get it going, I'd start out with a 7:1 aluminum head. I say alum, mainly because you are going to hunt for a long time, most likely, for a higher comp iron head...say, Winfield redhead/orangehead or whatever color the original 7:1 was. You do not seem willing to wait. Haste means spending for alum now and hunt for cast iron while running your engine/vehicle. You maybe also can look for cast iron OHV head with higher compression, but bring plenty of $$$$ , eh!! You can also indicate to TOD what you want as to cr and cast iron Winfield. Hey, if you have to wait, may as well get what you want ? Tod has stated that he will make different cr cast heads AND high cr alum heads. Give him a call.
Did I add to confusion . Given choice of either alum or cast iron...SAME cr, I'd use the iron...first ! Of course both would have to have the crow foot comb chamber or something comparable.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #15
paul_rathmell49

I don't know how other guys feel, But check out " secretsofspeed.com" Charly yapp makes a lot of new speed parts for the 1928-1934 four bangers. Great stuff high quality castings, I put one of his " LION SPEED HEADS" on my standard tudor along with an " FSI electronic distributor and a single down draft intake, and what a differance it was amazing the car would really go. Most of what he sells is cast iron. Check it out. SECRETSOFSPEED.COM You won't be sorry. Paul
paul_rathmell49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_rathmell49 View Post
I don't know how other guys feel, But check out " secretsofspeed.com" Charly yapp makes a lot of new speed parts for the 1928-1934 four bangers. Great stuff high quality castings, I put one of his " LION SPEED HEADS" on my standard tudor along with an " FSI electronic distributor and a single down draft intake, and what a differance it was amazing the car would really go. Most of what he sells is cast iron. Check it out. SECRETSOFSPEED.COM You won't be sorry. Paul
I saw them Paul, just don't like the look of the fins, I wish they looked like the original head
Old 04-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #17
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
would a 6-1 cast iron be equal; to a 7-1 aluminum?
Does that mean that my 7-1 Thomas head is really only 6-1
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #18
Royce P

Virtually all non - diesel cylinder heads in the auto industry today are made from aluminum. It's not a problem.

I have no experience with aluminum heads on Model A, but have had zero problems with aluminum heads on my other collector cars. I think you can cause yourself problems if you use anything other than anti freeze / water mixture in your radiator, regardless of the cylinder head material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
1928 : "I'm still confused."

Don't be. If you like working on cars, get the Aluminum head. If you would rather spend your time driving the Model A - keep a Factory Recommended (actually, Auto Industry recommended) Cast Iron head on your engine block.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote