Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Tom Elliott

Default New Brake Drums from Mel

Got my new brake drums from Mel Gross today, they look great. They shipped them quick as well. Thanks Mel
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: New Brake Drums from Mel

What are your plans/capability for putting them on? It's on my list of things to do but I feel thwarted by the 20ton plus press requirement.

Joe K
Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
Mel Gross

Good Morning To All;

Thanks for the comments!

My dad has been gone for more then a year now and his wish was for me to carry on. I had been working with him for more then 10 years. His overall knowledge of Model A's will not be able to be duplicated by me, but I am trying very hard to be just like him. His reputation was excellent and it will not be tarnished no matter what it takes. We take care of our fellow Model A friends.

One of the services besides selling product is doing the brake drums to hub work along with rebuilt backing plates.

If you need to reach me, then either call me at 714-292-8660 or email me at [email protected]

Again, we will take good care of you and make sure that you are satisfied with our product and workmanship.

Thanks

Randy Gross
Son of Mel & Jackie Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Tom Elliott

Joe K, a friend of mine has a 50 ton press (he owns a machine shop) He will swedge the lug bolts and then true the drums up. I only have a 20 ton press, not enough pressure to swedge the bolts to the drum.
Tom Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #5
Keith True

Joe,I don't know where you are in N.H. but I have them done at National Brake in Manchester.It is actually Sanel Auto parts,and National brake is their truck division of the machine shop.They still are using the equipment that they used there 50 years ago.I have a 50 ton press and won't even do my own.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Skeezixx

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
20 tons is not enough to swedge the bolts on. I used a 90 ton equipped with a gauge which registered an invariable 22 for each stud.

I have often wondered why can't replacement hubs and studs be reproduced with later type splines to avoid the problem of swedging altogether?
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gross View Post
Good Morning To All;

Thanks for the comments!

My dad has been gone for more then a year now and his wish was for me to carry on. I had been working with him for more then 10 years. His overall knowledge of Model A's will not be able to be duplicated by me, but I am trying very hard to be just like him. His reputation was excellent and it will not be tarnished no matter what it takes. We take care of our fellow Model A friends.

One of the services besides selling product is doing the brake drums to hub work along with rebuilt backing plates.

If you need to reach me, then either call me at 714-292-8660 or email me at [email protected]

Again, we will take good care of you and make sure that you are satisfied with our product and workmanship.

Thanks

Randy Gross

Randy Gross has carried on the excellent reputation that his late father Mel created. Part of his service is to properly mount the new drums to existing hubs. This process is almost an art form. You want to be very careful where you have this type of service done. Most commercial brake shops don't have a clue about the swaging process and will likely crack a cast iron drum and\ or warp the hub flange. Your best bet is to let Randy do the whole job for you. His prices are very reasonable.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #8
Vic in E-TN

UPS delivered my sixth (at least ) pair of drums from Randy/Mel yesterday. Only problem was that I forgot about it and the package spent the night outside in a cold rain/snow. Looked it over this morning and everything was fine.

I highly recommend Randy Gross and his brake drums.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
barkleydave

does he have a web site?

I have steel and am interested in converting to cast drums
thanks
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Dusty

Randy is A1. I found a set of nice hubs and was able to send them cheaply via the Post office and left all the hard work to Randy. Made a tremendous improvement with the braking. Highly recommend

Dusty in cold ass Georgia
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:40 AM   #11
modelAtony

Randy, your dad was a great man . many times he was at many conventions and I am sure you were with him. First time I saw him was in the 80's. I talked to him a few years ago, was getting a price for hubs,complete all together and brake shoes fitted to drums and bolts complete package and shipped . price was really good. only reason I haven't ordered now is I inherited a complete set of drums and brakes fitted . BUT I now have a extra 29 ford that I will be needing this set up. I will be ordering later. LET THE PEOPLE KNOW YOU CAN PUT THE WHOLE SHEBANG TOGETHER IN ONE PACKAGE. DRUMS, PADS, HUBS, BOLTS,SWEEDGED AND READY TO MOUNT. have fun modelAtony tony white lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 AM   #12
apbright

My roadster's brake drums were so thin I couldn't stop at the end of an exit ramp without using the emergency brake, which caused me to first reach out to Randy. He has now done brake drums for two cars for me - complete service including replacement of what was a bad hub. Prices were more than reasonable, and the turnaround time was good (less than one week, both times, from memory). And, no, he didn't pay me to say this.
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:38 AM   #13
Harley03joe

Smile Re: New Brake Drums from Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gross View Post
Good Morning To All;

Thanks for the comments!

Thanks

Randy Gross
RANDY Nice Post And Also The F-100 Steering Box I Got From You Is Perfect
I Want To Take This Time To Thank You, For The Wonderful Box You Sent To Me.

I Have Not Had The Car Out Much, Because Of My Dirty Gas Tank Problem, That Is Now Taking Care Of

Pluse My Back Is Killing Me A Slow Death.

My Gludeamaxama The Butt Mussel Runs Down My Leg To The Syataca Nerve And Man Does It Hurt,I' Have Had This Problem Since Nov 14-2014
Every Day Now , If Not For Oxycodone, I Might Have Swallowed My S&W

Any way Randy Keep Up The Good Work Ok, And Again I'm So So Sorry That Dad Is Not With Us Any More, Very Sad, I Never Knew Your Dad But From What I Read , Your Right He Was Not Easily Replaceable In Knowledge And As A Man
He Must Have Been A Fine Man.

Randy I Know Mel Was Your Dad , But Remember This He Will Be Missed By All Of Us And All The Other Folks That Knew Him
Again Keep Up The Good Work
Your Friend
Joe In Sunny South Florida
Harley03joe

Last edited by Harley03joe; 02-22-2015 at 02:44 AM.
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote