Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
HotRodmicky

Default Re: Boring a flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Henry Floored:

Regarding the pop-up idea. I got it and I must have missed the piston/hi-dome head part of your idea/post.

When I looked into doing this, Arias was the only company making pop-ups for this application. They were $125 a piece + the $875 for Navarro hi-dome heads so you'd be into $1,875 before anything else.

I believe someone mentioned Ross is now also making pop-ups but I don't know for certain.

If you're going this far, you may want to atleast look into using some Scat H-beam rods @ $425 [cheapest H-beam rod-albeit off-shore *YUK* made] a set.

This is what I meant by entering into the exotic side of flathead engine building. A lot of guys balk at spending $250 for a set of pistons.

Some of these guys would have a heart attack if you told them the pistons for their engine was going to cost them $1K.

Once recovered, they'd then go into a hour long story about how they bought their first car for $10.00, fought too dang hard in Korea to let something like this happen and how spending $1K for a set of pistons would be a crying shame.

Also, when I said 95% of flathead guys would be happy with a 276 c.i., I meant the guys who actually keep a flathead in their old Ford.

I'm not even interested in old Ford with a small block anything in it.

To me, the parts just don't fit. But, as with most thigns in life, to each his own.
Tim,
i think it`s real fun to talk what to do with a Flathead to gain more horsepower etc.

Sure you can`t go wrong with a 276ci .It's a really good size, but
it would be boring if everybody build the same engine.

You are right with Hi-Dome Navarro and Arias pistion beeing WAY to
expensive to be used on the street engine , so Rons way is much better!!!

Michael
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote