Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Electric fuel pump with a mechanical one problems

I wanted to do the same thing which is setup in my coupe, flip on the mechanical pump first after the car has been sitting for a few days, start it, then flip off the electric pump. But, I'm using a cheap pump and wanted to get a better one that I can depend on if my mechanical pump dies.

My idea - I have both pumps installed - from the tank I have a T fitting, one line goes around the electric pump, the other to the pump, there's another T fitting on the other side of hte pump where the line exiting the pump and the line that did not go to the pump come together.

My pproblem - I can't get gas through the engine mechanical pump with the electric pump running. I pinched off the by-pass line from the tank and I got fuel to the fuel bowl of the engine mech pump but nothing comes out of the mechanical pump up to the carbs as I turn the engine over whether the electric pump is running or not.

I think it's the nature of the electric pump I'm using - my coupe has a cheapo electric pump from Advance "in-line" out of the gas tank and both the flattie and electric pump operate normally/as descibed above. The cheapo pump is electronic or pulse operated while the pump I'm using on my roadster is somethng different - kind of like a whine?

Anyway, I'm going to get rid of the T-fitting setup and use a cheapo pump, setting it up likes it is in my coupe - I'll keep you posted.

Any ideas why the pump I'm using would not work?
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote