Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
tennsmith

Default 57-59 Ford 9" Rear Axle....

What I need is more of an education than anything else. I have a 59 Ford 9" axle housing, pumpkin and axleshafts, but have noticed that the axleshafts have two different "brake space lengths". The intended use for this axle is to put it under a '36 Ford and I desire the "narrowist" width achievable without cutting the housing and buying custom made axles. Both axles that I have are 28 spline axles, but bear different end markings. One has the early recessed rectangle with two straight sides, 2 curved sides, and the other is flat with two drilled holes and a center dimple similar to that found on 31 spline axles. The older axle (rectangle) has roughly a 2 3/8" brake space and the other (dimpled one) something like 2 3/16". These may not be the "exact" values, but are close (they do not include the thickness of the backing plate). I'd like to match them up by buying another stock axle with the narrower brake space, but don't know what to look for in terms of what vehicle carried these axles.

So my question is, did the later year narrow-housing 65/66 Mustangs come with these "smaller brake space" axles? Is it possible that this axle came from an 8.8" rear end? I'm trying to find a short axle with the narrower brake space to match the longer one. I am aware that Currie and Moser will custom-make an axle for me, but still a bit uneasy about specifying the length, etc. and the cost has to be more than finding a used Ford axle at a junkyard.
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote