Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2024, 12:28 AM   #1
Brian

Default 2 overdrives

Is anyone on here running two overdrives in an early Ford? Call me mad if you will, but I currently have a fixation on overdrives. I currently run a Columbia in my 35 sedan...when I first fitted it, it was running a 3.54 ratio, which gave around 2.56:1 in overdrive. Car was a pig off the line, but I loved the gearing in overdrive, at 30 MPH it was idling, didn't need my foot on the throttle. After an accident [not my fault] which even bent the diff housing, I rebuilt the Columbia with 4.11:1 ring and pinion, kindly supplied by JM35 on here. That gives 2.97:1 in o/d.

Because my car is lowered, there is a tendency for diff oil to migrate forward along the torque tube. So, recently I adapted in a 39 Lincoln Zephyr banjo; 4.44:1 ratio, these things are hypoid, which now places my torque tube at a better angle...incidently, they also have a seal at the pinion which will keep all the rear end oil in the rear end. I haven't driven it yet; still awaiting delivery of the GL4 hypoid oil I ordered two weeks ago! However this will give me 3.21:1 when in overdrive. [I am running [repop] LZ gears in the trans]

Locally here in New Zealand, there is a fellow advertising for sale a torque tube mounted Laycock overdrive that he had previously run in, amongst other things, a 1939 LZ. This is similar to a Mitchell, which some of you guys would be familiar with.

Anyway...I start thinking about buying it and fitting it into my car. My car, equipped with the 4.44 Columbia rear end, is 3.21 in o/d, coupled with another [Laycock] overdrive would see a potential total overdrive of around 2.1:1! Remember I loved my car at 30 MPH when it was running 2.56:1. What you guys reckon? Too much? Probably, but I'd appreciate any and all feedback, particularly from someone who's been there/done that.

One real downside I can foresee is the additional unsprung weight! The Columbia is heavy, struth, that Lincoln banjo is heavy, and a Laycock overdrive isn't light either by any means.

Ok, go for it guys, I'm fully prepared for all the negative comments. Thanks