Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2024, 09:51 PM   #1
fordblitz

Default Waltham vs Stewart Warner speedometer faces- WW2 4 speed trucks

Good Day,

I have noted differences between the faces of Stewart Warner and Waltham 60 MPH speedometers fitted to large 1940’s trucks with the 4 speed transmission.

I have a good working Waltham speedometer fitted to my 1942 Ford CMP truck. For some unknown reason a previous owner fitted a Stewart Warner face to it which involved drilling 3 extra holes on it.

A good mate found me a Waltham speedometer face recently at a swap meet so now to make a good correct decal for it. The face had a poorly made vinyl sticker on it and it was a Stewart Warner type. I noticed most aftermarket decals are for the Stewart Warner type.

Some of the differences I found while looking at Waltham 4 speed truck speedometers on this forum and other sites such as the G503 Jeep site:

The spacing is closer between the marks on the right side between the 50 and 60 mph marks on a Waltham, in fact it is the same spacing as the left side of both Waltham and SW types between 0 and 10 mph. The 10 mph and 50 mph numerals are at the same vertical position on the Waltham but not on the SW type.

The 30-mph numeral is placed dead center at the top on the Waltham but off center on a SW. The zero is closer to the radial marks on a Waltham.

At least the steel faceplates are identical size on both brands and only the mounting holes are different. The odometer aperture is slightly narrower, and slightly higher on the face of a Waltham. I was able to scan my SW faceplate to get the common artwork and sizes such as the concentric rings, numerals, marks, and lettering to replicate a Waltham face.

I have one question before I commit it to decal paper.

The shift points sectors appear to be a cream colour or light yellow in various photos I have seen. With age and fading it is hard to say but I don't think it would be too yellow. Perhaps the same cream as the bezel?

Can anyone confirm what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waltham decal TEST - Copy.jpg (76.1 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by fordblitz; 03-30-2024 at 10:02 PM.
fordblitz is offline   Reply With Quote