Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2024, 02:02 PM   #1
lyleknievel

Default V8 Clutch in Model A: Something is not right

A while ago, I pulled the engine on my '29 Tudor, and took the occasion to have the flywheel modified and a V-8 STYLE PRESSURE PLATE (Bratton PART #: 11460) installed.
In the description it indicates "Uses the same clutch disk (11400) as the stock one".
I actually bought the clutch disk separately from Mac's (Model A, B and V8 Clutch Disc 1928-40, Part # 28-385984-1)
What I found was that the Clutch would not disengage.
The vehicle was parked for a while since I installed everything, and looking through posts/talking to people, I reasoned that possibly my clutch disk was stuck to the flywheel, and so I did the recommended process:
*blocked the rear wheels,
*put in 3rd gear,
*started the car so that wheels were turning,
*mashed in the clutch,
*put on the brakes.
When I did that, the rear wheels stopped turning, but there was a noise coming from the clutch and still it seemed that the clutch was not fully releasing (still grinding trying to go from neutral into gear with the clutch pedal down...
And so I took it all apart, and what I found was that the 3 fingers of the pressure plate were apparently scraping against the clutch disk.
This seems to me to be evidence that the clutch disk is too thick.
I have seen references that the Model A clutch disk is 0.340" thick -- and the clutch disk I am using (got from Mac's) is 0.380" thick.
And so this would explain why the clutch would not disengage, and when I made the adjustment to the clutch pedal in an attempt to get it to disengage, it actually drove the 3 fingers all the way into the clutch disk which was the noise I was hearing.

Any other ideas out there of what caused this and what to do to fix it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pressure plate on flywheel.jpg (49.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg pressure plate fingers scraped.jpg (49.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg clutch disc scraped.jpg (43.7 KB, 166 views)
lyleknievel is offline   Reply With Quote