Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
crazycasey

Default Need Help with a Model A that’s Overcharging.

Don’t mind my previous post. My Model A seems to have started charging suddenly after I jumped the cutout terminals and motored the generator. BUT…now it’s overcharging. This A didn’t have any sort of external voltage regulator previously, and I rewired it without one, as, I had assumed (yes I know) that it must have not needed one. So, I’m seeing up too…probably 9 volts (old analog meter is hard to read amid all the shaking) and 10 amps now on the ammeter at speed. The car is freshly rewired, and all of the connections are sound. Positive ground battery connecting to the transmission. Separate ground cable from body to frame. Assuming (sorry) that the transmission mount is sufficient for grounding the engine to the frame.

I’m out of my depth when it comes to generators. Can anyone tell me if this is an original A gennie?

It sounds like from what I’ve researched that the Fun Projects cutout regulators aren’t being made anymore. Do I have an easy solution to regulate this generator down to 7-something volts on the generator!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2619.jpg (78.7 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by crazycasey; 12-05-2023 at 08:59 PM.
crazycasey is offline   Reply With Quote