Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2023, 09:10 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default PCV valve for my H six ?

Good morning all. I have been doing a lot of work on my '46 tonner with the 226 H engine. I'm getting to where I can shift the T-9 with minimal gnashing of teeth after a few years without a crash box tranny. Last week I was dealing with fuel plumbing after installing a correct mechanical fuel pump with an electric 'primer'. Then it was going through my box of dash instruments and senders. Great success with my finds and that new speedometer cable. Still need a fuel tank sender. The H has between 120 and 130 compression on all cylinders and oil pressure in the 30s, but has a noticeable amount of stinky blowby entering the cab. I have read a LOT of PCV threads here on the barn and I see where many people have strong opinions on the subject, but the vast majority agree that it's good for reducing or eliminating blow by fumes. Today I'm hoping to find a suitable pcv at napa and adapt it with a home made kit.
My plan is to use one of the two 3/8"ports that are in the intake manifold below the carb. From there across the head to the oil breather stand pipe, eliminating the vented cap. I will make a rubber plug with a hole in it to mount the pcv valve vertically. Connect with 3/8" hose. The incoming air will be through the road draft tube under the manifolds and connected to the valve chamber. This tube, without measuring is 1 1/8"- 1 1/4". A couple thoughts to eliminate sucking in my very dusty unpaved road include stuffing the tube with an oil soaked stainless brillo pad, installing an aftermarket air cleaner from a small dirt bike or using an oil bath air cleaner from an old 3 hp briggs and stratton engine. For the latter two I would clamp a suitable rubber hose onto the draft tube and curl it upwards before mounting the air cleaner. The dirt bike dry element I think would mount to the side of the T-9 using the parking brake holes. The oil bath maybe on the inner fender just to confuse people. With winter approaching I should be working on plumbing under my house that often freezes, or perhaps more roof patching, but that just doesn't do it for me. I offer suggestions on my routing and filtering. Thanks.

ps. I have a friend that says of me... One thing we won't see on Gary's headstone is "He was a man of few words"
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-02-2023 at 09:17 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote