Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
1955cj5

Default Terminal block electrical short...

I remembered having read this some time ago. Thanks Tom Endy!

https://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-cont...l-Block-TE.pdf

Once I realized that this was the problem, repair i.e. insulating the studs was easy. Getting the box fastened back on the firewall, not so easy, but with help, we managed....

I had added a 30 amp fuse to the feed line some time ago. Glad I did.

The fuse would randomly blow....replace the fuse and all good for a while, then the fuse would blow again...

This time I noticed that the fuse would blow at the moment I pressed on the starter push rod and the starter engaged...the ammeter would momentarily peg to the left, and of course the fuse would blow.

Everything would work, headlights, taillights and horn, before engaging the starter, so somehow this must be related to the starter. Maybe not....

After much testing with a multi-meter and disconnecting things one at a time trying to isolate the problem, I had just about given up for the night, and began to replace the terminal box cover. It was just dark enough that when I put a little pressure on the terminal box stud, I could see the fuse blow...

So this is where Tom Endy's article surfaced...

I took the box off and sure enough the screws were exposed on the back side, and one was just the tiniest bit loose.....and there was a mark on the firewall where it had been making contact.

I insulated the heads of the screws with liquid electrical tape...green was all I had....then added electrical tape both to the box and the firewall.

Problem solved....

I could not find the "Hong Kong" marking on the box, but there were a few letters molded in next to the stud. FPRC. That box has been on there since at least 1962. It has a "Ford" script on the cover.

And the 10 amp fuse is in there just for troubleshooting...I normally run a 30 amp, but had blown them all by now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050477.JPG (134.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg P1050475.JPG (123.5 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg P1050479.JPG (100.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg P1050478.JPG (132.5 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 08-15-2023 at 11:46 AM.
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote