Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2023, 06:01 AM   #1
Ziggster

Default Question - C59A Oil Pressure Relief in Lifter Valley

Hope you all donÂ’t mind all these questions, but since it has been so long since this engine was rebuilt my memory is a little faded. As I was working on it, J noticed a threaded hole in the lifter valley at the front of the . Took me a few minutes to realize that this was the location for the pressure relief valve. Panic set in as I wondered where the original parts were, but luckily I found two sets of parts. IÂ’m guessing one set (spring, plunger, and nut) are from the extra oil pump assy I had acquired. Again, no info from what I could see in the flathead books I have which is frustrating as this is exactly why I purchased them. So, I have a few questions pertaining to this relief valve:

1. Is it necessary as there is one already in the sump pump assembly? I seem to recall reading that some folks just plug it.
2. Can I reuse the original spring or do you think a new spring should be used?
3. The contours of the two plungers I have are slightly different. Does it matter which I use?
4. There seems to be gasket used to seal the nut. It appears to be the same used for the one in the oil sump pump. Is this correct?
5. I don’t have this gasket. I seem to recall having an “extra” at some point, but can”t find it. Any suggestions as to what I can use to seal it instead of using the gasket or should I just order another one?
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote