Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
Alaska Mike

Default Looking for options on modern points and condenser

Drove my '31 Model A roadster from storage shed, 50 yards, to the shop. Started and ran fine. Tried to start a couple days later and would not start. It has a modern points and condenser set up. I put three new condensers in it before it would run on a four cylinders. I am fed up with this stuff!

I have two distributors, one as a back up. I ordered the stuff to return one of them back to original points and condenser.

I had ordered the Petronix electronic ignition, and was going to put it in one of the distributors, but they sent me one for a Ford Tractor. It will not work. Called Petronix, and they agreed that it was the wrong one. They were not sure what they had that would fit. Their information says a Mallory distributor would take their model ML-141CCP6.

Do I have a Mallory distributor? It is a stock Model A distributor.

I know there is a lot of discussion about electronic ignition, modern points, and original points. Does anyone know which Petronix kit I need? Am I crazy to keep one distributor with modern points, and one with original point set up? I am just getting tired of working on this thing on the side of the road.
Alaska Mike is offline   Reply With Quote