Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #1
alexiskai

Default Notes on getting your A declared property tax exempt in NC

I just went through this so I'm putting notes here in case anyone doesn't know the procedure.
  1. The A has to be properly titled and registered.
  2. The license plate must be an antique plate, which means you either request that at time of registration or go back later and request it and pay the fee.
  3. Download and fill out form AV-66.
  4. Take this form to your county tax office; someone there should be able to review it and confirm that you are in compliance.
  5. Once you've filed the form, the taxable value of the car will be capped at $500, so your property tax each year will be just a few bucks.

Further details:
  • You can file the form any time between when you get the property tax bill for the car and 30 days after that bill is due. So for a new registration, you would pay the fee at the DMV, take your registration and receipt and form to the tax office, and then they'd refund the difference. If you're filing the form for an upcoming tax year, you'll get an amended bill in the mail.
  • At this time (Sept. '22), the state of NC is not supplying antique tags because they have run out and can't get more. If this happens to you, take your form and registration with the regular license plate number to the county tax office and explain the situation. My tax office accepted the form and put some notes on the account once they confirmed the shortage.

Note on YOM plates: This doesn't make a difference for YOM plates at all; NC considers YOM plates ornamental and not the car's "real" tag.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote