Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
The "A" Team

Default Trying to loosen a seized engine

Hi everyone,

My father left me his 1930 Model A Coupe, but unfortunately he took it apart to have the engine rebuilt and to paint it, but left it apart sitting in a leaky garage for at least 15 years.

Anyway, the engine has been sitting on the engine stand since it was rebuilt, and somehow, even though it's about 3 feet off the ground, the oil pan got water in it which made some of crankshaft, that was low enough to dip into the water in the oil pan, get some rust on it. The whole engine was pretty seized up too.

About two weeks ago, I removed the oil pan and started the arduous task of getting the engine to turn. I took off two of the connecting rods off the crankshaft and then sprayed WD40, engine oil, and rust dissolver in any and all joints. I tried an engine crank, but it wouldn't budge. I finally bought a socket and used a breaker bar to get it to turn. Every few days, I've been turning the engine with the socket and breaker bar while spraying all the parts with WD40, rust dissolver, and oil. Even after doing all that, it's still very hard to turn, and I really don't know how easily it should be turning at this point. I don't want to put it all together with the transmission, install it, just for it to not be able to turn over.

I attached some pics in a PDF. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model A Engine.pdf (622.1 KB, 173 views)
The "A" Team is offline   Reply With Quote