Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2022, 02:47 PM   #1
Terry, NJ

Default All about shocks and more!

I'm gleaning info, not supplying it! Here goes. So I bought a bunch of old shocks (9) after checking the shafts, which seemed pretty tight. Bear in mind, I never held a really good shock in my hands and know what it feels like. So as a result I'm in a poor position to judge one. I did buy a rebuilding kit from one of the vendors and it seems to be 3 O rings and some black "Oakum"? which seems to be a graphite treated cord which you wind around the shaft (I guess) but what happens to the "Neoprene ?" O rings? One is for the lock ring and body (3" Dia.) the other two seem to fit the dia. of the shaft with no clear indications where it goes or what it seals. Also there is some split shot which I really don't know what to do with.
Another point, to determine if a shock is CW or AC, my book, The Model A Ford Mechancs Handbook, that you look at the position of the solid vane. In the Dwg. it shows the position of the CW (Clock Wise) solid Vane near the right side ear of the shock and in the AC (Anti Clockwise) the solid vane is near the right side. In at least one of mine, it's very close to dead center. And there's no little "ports" in the face of the vane.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote