Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
Lee29coupe

Default Seized Engine

My 1929 Coupe started to make a squealing noise, sounded like it was coming from the bell housing area. When I pushed in the clutch it stopped but after awhile it still squealed when clutch in, would quite down when I just touched the pedal in about 1/2 inch. Adjusted clutch, was thinking it was my throw out bearing, lubed bearing carrier, sounded better but still aware of intermittent noise.Drove it to listen better, got very noisy and engine stopped, tried restarting and it only clicked starter and heated up starter battery cable to starter. Engine could not be turned over with hand crank in neutral, when in neutral the car is normal to push around, I replaced all bearings in drive train a few months ago and it is all good. Tranny and drive train smooth and quite. So now the engine is still seized, drained oil, 10W30 Mobil One synthetic, oil was changed about 20 miles prior. Bought car about three years ago always changed oil well before needed with same oil, always a normal sounding Model A engine. Drained oil was very clean, discolored as normal, no visible particles. Any ideas, plan on pulling oil pan and look at crank babbit on crank caps. I pulled out starter and could not see any problem in bell housing. Am I destined for new babbit?

Last edited by Lee29coupe; 11-09-2021 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Chnge
Lee29coupe is offline   Reply With Quote