Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
bavArian

Default Engine sputters and dies when at high rpms and under load

Hello everyone,

2 weeks ago the A ran fine, but in the last few days I've been having a problem with the engine.

Current conditions: ~50 fahrenheit ambient temperature, dry, fuel has max. 5% ethanol in it and is fresh

When driving under high load and at mid to high rpms it tends to die while driving with missfire from the exhaust. If I lower the rpms, the engine stays on most of the time but I can't accelerate anymore. It's especially bad uphill. If it stays running I get missfire and a bad throttle response, making it impossible to keep moving. If I stop the engine and let it sit for a while or remove the drain plug of the carb and screw it back in (fuel running from the carb obviously) it usually starts right up and runs fine for a short time.

I've done/checked the following things:

- filled the tank to 3/4
- checked for a steady stream of fuel from the sediment bowl, looks good
- disassembled the car, everythings clean (jets as well) and gaskets are in place
- checked the float, it's the right height above the upper housing and moves freely
- cleaned fuel strainer
- float valve seems to work fine if carb is disassembled
- gas cap tight or missing doesn't make a difference

It idles perfectly but will make problems when it's running above what I guess are 1200 (??) rpm. Downhill/level roads with low revs are no problem.

Am I correct that it's not getting enough fuel? I've read that the float valve can work fine if the carb is disassembled but cause problems when running? I don't know how old the float valve is but I assume ->very<- is the correct answer.

If that's unlikely, what else could it be? Ignition seems unlikely because why would it run well for half a minute or so before making problems?

Hope that someone can guide me in the right direction.

Greetings from Germany,

Daniel
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote