Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
1941Pony

Default What clutch would you use?

Hi, I’m building a 59a, 4” merc crank, 60 over with a 1007 b cam and will have a 39 3 speed. This is going in a 41 pickup that is going to be street driven. I have the flywheel that came with this engine when I bought it which is a 11” clutch. I read that they are too heavy though, that they are for big trucks. I have a 9” clutch from another flathead that was in my pickup. It’s a little crusty and has a little wear on the ring gear but I think it would be okay.

The ring gear on both flywheels match up though so I should be good to use either. When I weighed them, the 11” was 35lbs and the 9” was 38.2. Stock for stock, I’m not seeing any weight savings.

I’ve seen recommendations about removing the lip on the 9” to reduce weight which I recall from other posts was around 12lbs. When I look at the 9” flywheel it seems it had weight removed (see holes next to lip on 1st image). My thought is this was to balance it and if I remove that lip, the balance of the flywheel will be off. Seems more of a headache as well to find a machine shop that would remove this lip for less than the cost of a new one.

Is the concern with the 11” clutch, the actual clutch weight itself? It’s seems the 9” and 11” would be roughly the same weight. I’m thinking resurfacing the 11” flywheel and run the 11” clutch is the way to go. Or have that 11” flywheel drilled for a 10” clutch. Here’s what I’m working with. What would you do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C20AB0F9-2953-4D73-A2F5-4D458E0BD62C.jpeg (139.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpeg AAEF6523-EBED-42C8-89F6-F4A97D5CCABD.jpeg (150.1 KB, 54 views)
1941Pony is offline   Reply With Quote