Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
revenski

Default Hard Starting - Fuel Line Issues

I have my ’38 Tonner on which I did a Concours level restoration. Therefore, it has a 6-volt electrical system, a mechanical fuel pump and a Stromberg 97 carburetor. Needless to say, it doesn’t get driven a whole lot. When I don’t start it for a while, it is often difficult to start since there may be little if any gas in the carburetor bowl. I have often had to disconnect the gas supply line at the carb and fill the bowl. Although this is not something I prefer to do, this usually works. However, I went to start the truck the other day, and it was a no go even after multiple rounds of priming the carb. The truck would run until the bowl went dry, but that was as far as I could get. I checked all of the lines, changed the gas in the tank, and played with it for quite a while, and everything seemed fine. I did need to recharge the battery in between all of the attempts. I eventually got the truck to run after filling the carb bowl yet once again. I took the truck out for a short ride, and all was well.
I have read much of what is in the Barn forums, and I realize that this kind of starting issue is not entirely uncommon. My question is: short of installing a “secondary” electric fuel pump to get the gas started on its way up to the carburetor, is there something else I could or should be doing?
When I get the truck started, it always runs great. So things work well after the start.
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote