Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
cas3

Default some days just dont go too good

so i'm finally to the point of putting fluid in my 34 jalopy hyd brakes. the grand moment after fabbing master cyl mount without any butchering, weeks of on and off, the big moment arrived. this time i used nicopp, the new fangled brake line that is a blend of nickle and copper, wont rust and easy to work with, softer than steel so flares are perfect, no leaks...they say. well it is nice to work with i will say. bends easy flares nice.i used the same ol flaring tool i have had for decades, inspected each one, only had one that got a little off center, cut it off and made it good. when doing a new system, things can get messy, i would prefer to be out in the gravel driveway, but its winter on the frozen swamp, so i went to the hardware store and bought some clear plastic line that fit the bleeders, and got a clean mason jar to bleed into because " im not gonna make a mess this time' . so, the big event begins. first, i find the leaks where i only had things finger tight, loose for bending lines etc. mess no1. next at the first rear wheel i start at, i notice that even when the bleeder is closed, i see a bubble in my plastic tube. big deal right, just tighten it up some more. well, after about 4 attempts to do the first one, that bleeder will not seal. now in this case the rear end i built up apparently just had a brake job dome before the car was retired who knows when, but the drums, shoes and cylinders were new and i decided to take advantage of my luck and bought new rubber cups for the pistons and chose to use the rest. while at the store, i thought heck i might as well buy new bleeders too, they look nice, fit good, go for it! so while at the store i noticed my new bleeders have a surface for the wrench to grab that is only about 1/16" thick. why would they do that i thought, but what ever they are new, should be no problem. well, now i'm cranking so hard on the fitting that the wrench is starting to wreck the lil 1/16 hex surface, and its still leaking. so, i realize its gotta go, and i look thru the mess on my bench to find the old one, wire wheel it, run a drill bit thru to clean it, blow it out, and remove the new chinese thing to replace it with the old one while dripping fluid on the floor. remember, i am on number one. go to the other rear wheel, same thing, bleeder will not close, repeat all previous steps, more fluid on the floor. now, i have the rears roughed in so i got a little pedal, enough to start seeing all the leaks at the front. so first, both bleeders have a dribble, not a big deal, i have the wrench in my hand...it doesnt fit! should be 3/8, but i see immediately that its not 7/16, its 10mm ! why would they do that? i bought them a while back, cant remember where, i buy from lots of vendors, so more leaking while i go get the 10mm. about now, there is so much fluid on the floor that i had to go get another new quart, and there was only a 1/4" in my mason jar, remember , no mess this time. so once i finally had four wheels working, i still had to go around tightening joints and finished up the night about 3 hours into a quick job, about a quart on the floor, and a new quart slightly used sitting by the front tire. i decided to clean up the floor so i could see any more leaks over night. i heat with wood. every morning i carry an arm load of wood in with me to start the day. been doing it for decades, never drop any. remember the quart sitting by the tire? well one log fell, bounced once and knocked over the open bottle. but this time im not gonna make a mess...ya, right. most of my cars are still mechanical brakes. never a mess. this car was a wreck, and had none of the brake parts or it too would not have any fluid. wake up, i'm done whining!
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote