Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Gaskets 101, advice?

Recently had a valve job due to bad head gasket, mechanic ordered a gasket kit and separate head gasket. Ordered separate head gasket so he would know what he was getting.

He warned me he was not happy with the exhaust manifold gasket, we tried it anyway, only lasted 100 miles or so before it blew out in 2 places, visible with naked eye. So he replaced it with a gasket he made from material he knew was good. He warrantied his work, did not cost me anything.

I have seen various materials/venders. Paper, cork, copper, etc.

For future reference (immediate responses not needed), what is best used for each motor gasket? Tips on installation? Head, Carb, coolant inlet/outlet, water pump, oil pan, main seal, anything else I am missing.

Couple of Ex's;

Use cork on oil pan, anaerobic gasket sealer on pan side only so pan can easily be removed and gasket reused (and to avoid scraping the block if it was sealed on the block), torque evenly only tight enough to seal, then when satisfied leak free remove bolts one at a time and add non permanent Loctite and replace bolts.

Head gasket - copper, spray with copper sealant. Torque in sequence cold. Run and re-torque, repeat run and re-torque 2- 3 more times.

And yes, tried searching for a couple of hours for this info, would be nice if the info is in one thread, could not easily find concise info.

Thanks
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote