Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #1
LFEngineering

Default Cooling Problems, where to go next?

Alright guys I really need some help.

Fall 2017 I picked up a 1936 Model 51 with what I've identified as a 1937 flatty (pumps as motor mounts). I did some initial repairs, one of which was replacing the passenger side upper radiator hose as the one that was installed was kinked at the base. I have been driving the truck all winter with no major problems. Around march I took it out for a drive and after I noticed what I originally though was oil/coolant foam dripping from the overflow. After a mild heart attack I determined that it was just coolant foam, NO oil. It was brown color from rust, not oil. I read the forums and determined a few potential causes: cracked block, air ingestion at water pumps, head gasket. I set out to eliminate possibilities.

Compression test: 98-100 all cylinders
tested for exaust gas in coolant test after driving with block checking fluid: negative
Vinegar radiator flush: complete, no change
Running straight water: less foam but still over heats on days over 50 deg.

Situation the other day:
I got up and took the truck to work (530am, 50 deg) truck hit 190 in a 30 min drive. A caring motorist stopped to tell me I was leaking fluid from the driverside (overflow) while driving. The way home (2pm, 80 deg) truck hit 190-200 in 15 min, I stopped to top off the radiator and let the truck cool for 15-20 min. Restarted my journey home made it another 10 min before the truck overheated, boiled over and I stopped at 210 on the gauge.

Side note I discovered a small crack in the water jacket on the passenger side. It weeps water, but the cooling issue is the priority right now.

Today I decided to pull the lower hoses and see if there was any sediment, I found one side partially collapsed, but no sediment. Just for haha's I pulled the driverside upper hose and found a thermostat jammed in there sideways.

If you asked me Yesterday I would have said flatheads didn't use thermostats, after a quick google search and a few ford barn posts I have been educated.

What's next? What to test, what to try?
LFEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote