Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
harryc

Default engine missing ---thoughts needed

My car has ben setting for a month or so and when I stared it yesterday it stumbled and missed terribly. M y first thought, knowing this car, was maybe this Calif gas had caused a jet to plug--( it has before). I cleaned and checked the carb (tillotson) and adjustments and no change so I switched carbs---no change. I looked at the plugs and they looked sooty so I changed the plugs---still runs rough. I have a modern distributor cap--I switched the cap, rotor and wires--still runs rough. I put in new points (modern) .018 gap----no change. I took the distributor out and took it apart to see if maybe it's shorting out someplace. It didn't seem to be so I tried another distributor--no change so I switched back to the first distributor. In shorting the plugs while running it seems to always be only number one that is not firing --no change so now I am starting to get worried. Thinking maybe I have a stuck valve in number one I checked the compression.....120 lbs. Any ideas---It has to be something very simple but it is escaping me. I forgot to mention that I drained and put in fresh gas.----thanks
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote