Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
deuce_roadster

Default Garage find 40 coupe

I am finally getting going on a car I bought in 2005. This car was bought by the previous owner in 1957 and sat in the same garage until I brought it home 12 years ago. It is a 67k mile 40 V8 (standard) coupe originally cloud mist gray. Previous owner pulled the freeze cracked engine out and did nothing else but spray lacquer primer on it and buy parts. I was NOT looking for another project car and would not have bought it except for what came with it. 2 sets of NOS fenders and NOS running boards, 2 NOS gas tanks, 5 NOS V8 grilles, pretty much anything you could buy new from a Ford dealer in 1957 including a NOS 59 series engine in a Ford crate. I have new gauges, trim, I built 2 complete steering boxes from NOS parts including the castings. (one is in my wagon as well as 1 set of the NOS front fenders). After stripping this car to bare metal I found it has NO dents, NO rust and NO filler on it anywhere, perfect rain gutters. There is lead at the factory seams. I etched the body, sealed it, and primed and blocked and shot the first coat of Cloud Mist Gray paint on it this summer. I like to put half the paint on the car, wet sand it and put the final coat on instead of shooting it all at once. I only am sharing this not to brag, but as some of you like to hear about these things, and there was a recent thread about another car where the previous owner bought 3 of everything, I am showing it is not a unique experience. I added another public album with some pictures of the car for those interested. I have rebuilt the trans and have a Columbia for it as well as Lincoln brakes. It will be my freeway cruiser with 15" radials. I have 1 restored car for the concourse and that is enough of that!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote