Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Colonel Biggs

Default Generator Field Coil Question

A couple of months ago I posted a question about a generator armature that suffered water flooding. Where there was supposed to be no continuity contained lots of continuity. But, after two months, a few oven treatments and periodic containment in white rice, the armature has returned to normal. The next test will be to place it in my next generator rebuild to see if it functions as designed.

In my current rebuild, I had to purchase some new field coils (Bratton's). Because the coils are thicker than the originals, I am unable to snug them up against the casting, preventing the armature from being able to be inserted. I have even used bolts to attempt the tightening. If install just the shoes, they snug right up and the insertion of the armature does not present a problem. Has anyone else run into this? Is there another supplier of coils, carried by one of the vendors? I have tried some bending/pressing of the coils to re-shape them, but I don't want to damage them, particularly if I have to return them.
Colonel Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote