Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Are there maps that lay out under 55 routes????

[QUOTE=mhsprecher;1396856]Some people can't read maps, as HL says. One of my best friends and an old car guy, can't. I love maps and enjoy reading them. I suspect it can be learned, but some people's brains don't work that way. My sister can't use a GPS, much less a map.

I planned a short tour for this weekend and learned one thing that maps I was using didn't tell me, which was that some roads I chose were gravel. Some old car folks don't want their cars driving on gravel roads, understandably, but if I had not driven my proposed route beforehand, I would not have known this. We are trying to stay off of some of the primary roads due to traffic and speeds.

AAA is a good source of maps, too, for those who are members. If you really want to stay off of the beaten path, which we are attempting with our short tour this weekend, those maps aren't much help. Finding those county map books that were once so common is getting hard to do. I used a combination of hard copy maps, Google Maps and Map Quest on my computer to plan the route.

Lastly, I think GPS makes you stupid. It is a huge help, but if you rely on it too much, you turn your brain off.[/QUOTE]

HA! Exactly! That is exactly what the Dish Network guy did last week in trying to find our place...After telling them three times how to get here, their GPS unit took them right by our place and still took them 15 more miles to the north and ended up at the Snake River Bridge!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 12-10-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote