Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
Curt Campbell

Default Sand Blast Setup and Pics

Seemed to be lots of interest in bead blasting so thought I would share my sand blast setup.

1. Built 3 portable 2x4 walls covered with heavy plastic sheeting. Two walls 16' long....one 10' long. All 3 10' high. Made the big and tall enough to accommodate my homemade rotisserie. Walls are screwed together on the driveway to my shop. One end open toward shop door. Also braced to ground for wind strength. Wall opposite garage door has 3x3 ft opening. Large stand up fan blows air thru enclosure....oddly enough not much sand blows out of the enclosure. I also drape a plastic tarp over top for shade.

2. Have 5 hp compresser with 100 lb sandblast unit.

3. Most importantly, I use a fresh air supplied sandblast hood that is long enough to cover below my waist. The turbine that supplies the fresh air is located inside my air conditioned shop. If very warm day I refrigerate the hose from my turbine to the hood. I do that by having a large coil of hose in a cooler filled with ice. The hood hose is attached to the cooling coil and pumps nice cool air to the hood....factory AC!! I also use tear off plastic sheets on the hood face mask....changing when needed.

4. Since the sand is all captured on the concrete within the enclosure, I scoop it up and poor it thru a screen funnel back into sand blast unit. Can be reused several times.

5. When done blasting I disassemble the 3 walls and store the against the wall in another garage...Easy to do. Scoop up remaining sand into 5 gal sheet rock mud buckets and save til next time or dispose of sand into ditch.

This works great for me. DO NOT SANDBLAST WITH OUT PROPER BREATHING PROTECTION. Fresh air supplied is only way to go. How much are your lungs worth to you???

Last edited by Curt Campbell; 06-20-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote