Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default need rear main seal information

I will try to keep this long story as short as I can, and hopefully I will get some answers, and/or suggestions.. I recently bought a vehicle that supposedly ( and all indications seem to verify this ) the eng. is fresh with only 4 miles on the complete drivetrain. I get the vehicle home ( shipped to Alaska then trailered to my home ) I checked the vehicle over, all seemed ok. had it running several times although just at Idle and a little above. took it for a 18 mile drive and discovered a large trail of oil following me up my driveway looked to be the rear main seal. I removed the Pan and the seal retainer. It does not have a rope seal. it has the new replacement plastic/neoprene style seal. I got to looking at the retainer and it is marked ECZ-6335-A. I believe this to be a 312 seal retainer. the eng is supposed to be a 272 . the main caps are marked EBU-6329-B the rods are marked EBU-9502-A and the block is marked ECG. The seal in the retainer has a FelPro # that matches for a 272/292. my question is this. Is the seal retainer for a 312, and is this a mismatch that will cause a leak at the rear main seal? I know that the 312 has a different diam . journal for the seal, and requires a different rear main seal than the 272/292. do I need a 272/292 seal retainer or will the 312 one work with having a leak? what to do, what to do? any suggestions?
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote