Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
bullrunmotor

Default Model 94 Carburetor advice

I have a 59AB in a 35 Ford which I want to rebuild the carburetor in the near future. The carb on the car is a Model 94 EAB I've also collected the following other 94 Series Carbs. They are:

Model 94 91-99
Model 04-59 (15/16)

Can anyone tell me if the power valve is the same or all 3 series? Are any of the carburetors better than the other? I know the 94 series carb went through a lot of changes. The car has always had a bit of 'tailpipe" spit and it seems to have a bit of a high speed miss at 55 and up, Any sections appreciated. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
bullrunmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Model 94 Carburetor advice

The EAB will work, but is not right for that engine due to the vacuum port intended for the later distributor. The 04-59 may be a misprint, as I’ve never heard of that model. The 91-99 is the one you want, and you’ll be happy with a rebuild kit from Daytonaparts. Just be sure to tell them the model you have.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:44 PM   #3
bullrunmotor

Sorry-the other 94 carb is marked-59 15/16
Old 06-20-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
tubman

Unless you are skilled and experienced with these carburetors, I would suggest that you send the "91-99" to "Charlie ny" (who is on this forum) and move on to other things that need to be addressed.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:51 PM   #5
Bill OH

Use a Model 48 Stromberg - 1 1/32 venturi - more air flow, more reliable carb, plus it was used on the 35 Fords.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:08 AM   #6
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Of all the above, the 59 would be my choice for the internal venting, and better compatibility with your intake manifold than a Stromberg would be. Also, a Stromberg would have you watching TV on your drinking night for the price of it. Still, with the three carbs you have, you might wind up with a mix and match due to condition, and no problem if you do.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:17 AM   #7
bullrunmotor

Thanks for the replies received, How about the power valve question. All three of the carbs have a different height valve in them and only one has a part number. I've read many of the power valves-offered today- don't seat well or have a gasket that won't seat well.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:35 AM   #8
Bill OH

Strombergs do not have power valve problems and it will fit on the 59AB intake - I have done that with great success and it avoids filling the crankcase with gasoline because of a leaking power valve. Been there done that.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:12 AM   #9
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bull,
The kit from Daytona will have the correct style power valve. Over the years
PV's have been made by many outfits with various designs, only Daytona is sure to have
the design that will work....other kits you take your chances. 94's are sensitive to vacuum leaks....especially from wear in the throttle shaft and base and distorted mating surface. I encourage you to rebuild the carb , we'll be here with advice.
Regarding the Stromberg vs 94 cost comparison e mail for my answer to that,
you might be surprised. Stromberg carbs are not sensitive to anything but dirt being
forced down their throats. Reliability is top notch and they have great eye appeal,
anyway I appreciate the look.
Charlie ny
[email protected]
716 662 9159 anytime
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #10
bullrunmotor

Charlie-thanks for your advice-I also have several Stromberg 97's in the pile I can rebuild-what Stromberg would you recommend atop the 40's era 59AB that is in my '35?
Thanks
Nick
Old 06-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
Ziggster

I never rebuilt a carb before and rebuilt my 94 last, although I had a couple of extra carbs. Still needed lists of parts, some from Charlie and some from Vintage Speed. I know, I know how some feel about Vintage Speed, but I had a great experience. As Charlie mentioned, the shaft will lie be worn, meaning a new one. I managed to add a bit of solder to mine and it seemed to work. We’ll know in a month or so if I messed as I plan on firing up my C59A then. I think I have thread on my rebuild here on the forum.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 12:07 PM   #12
Charlie ny
BANNED

Bull,
If you have any Stromberg 97's with the small 97 logo they are usually less likely to have mixed parts....these were factory installed 97's. There are 3 or 4 large 97 logo carb
versions.....at this point refrain from rebuilding the style that featured what appears
to be a small tube protruding into each throttle bore in the base. The bowl used in conjunction with this base had notches in the lower venturiis to clear the afore mentioned tubes. The 97 I'm describing had a slightly different idle circuit and can
be an unnecessary pita at this time.

You must disassemble the carb completely...remove all brass components,
including the power valve and emulsion tubes the idle tubes ya da ya da to confirm all orfices are open and each is clean. For your motor use 45 jets...check the orfice with a pin gauge and use a #65 power valve,
which is most likely in the carb now. It is a good idea to check the power valve to
be sure it does not leak down...even new PV's have been know to leak.
OR
You may be fortunate and a Daytona kit will do it
Keep us posted,
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote