Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
al pa.

Default fuel line fittings

Installing a new line from tank to engine.I have the ends of the old line.One end has a compression ferrule,the other end has been flared.Does the compression ferrule go into the tank,or does the flared end.Thanks.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
G.M.

Default Re: fuel line fittings

Al both ends of the fuel line are the same 1/2"X20 threads with 1/4" compression ferrules. The same fittings are used on both ends of the pump to carb line. Weatherhead makes the fittings and they are called Ford fuel line fittings. Napa should have them or be able to get them. If you can't find them Bob Shewman [email protected] has some. He is in Kimberton, Pa. 1-610-933-6637 G.M.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
G.M.

Uncle Max has a large quanity of the Ford 1/2X20 fuel line fittings. These original types come with the ferrule pushed into the fitting. The ferrule breaks loose and crimps on the fuel line when tightened. There is a 1/4" recess in the pump and other places the fuel fittings are used. Push the tubeing in to make sure it is in the recess before tightening to make the crimp. I like to make the crimp in another fitting so I can look at it before putting it in the pump, carb or tank or line fittings. G.M.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
al pa.

Thanks,G.M.,I like reading these innovative things ,that add some extra quality.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

I'ts called FORD NUT, Try Napa Auto Parts

Edelmann #108400 Weatherhead # 59X4 Everco # 8
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
jerry grayson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Uncle Max has a large quanity of the Ford 1/2X20 fuel line fittings. These original types come with the ferrule pushed into the fitting. The ferrule breaks loose and crimps on the fuel line when tightened. There is a 1/4" recess in the pump and other places the fuel fittings are used. Push the tubeing in to make sure it is in the recess before tightening to make the crimp. I like to make the crimp in another fitting so I can look at it before putting it in the pump, carb or tank or line fittings. G.M.
GM, I have to disagree with you on one point regarding the Ford nut fittings that have the ferrule as part of the nut. I have been making prebent fuel lines for 25 years and have used the nuts that were original equipment consisting of two parts, ferrule and nut. When the one piece nut replaced the two piece, I gave them a try with real world experience. The one part nut/ferrule does not crimp the ferrule into the tube good enough so that the fuel line will not pull out. I bought a bunch of these and after trying them , threw them away!
After I learned that the manufactuers of these nuts stopped production, I had a large order made myself in the USA. These are exact reproductions and look and work as original. There is a large supplier of
Ford parts who sell a nut that is supposed to be like original, but the things are METRIC.(made in China I guess). Edelmann, Weatherhead or Everco do not supply the Ford nuts anymore.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
37 Coupe

And also do not buy the ones from Mac's,they are not even made with a simple basic machining principal,inside is not concentric with the outside diameter and I think they were made in the USA . Bought good correct ones and fuel lines from Mr. Jerry Grayson like I had 35 years ago and like I should have last time instead of trying to fill a mail order to justify shipping.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
GM, I have to disagree with you on one point regarding the Ford nut fittings that have the ferrule as part of the nut. I have been making prebent fuel lines for 25 years and have used the nuts that were original equipment consisting of two parts, ferrule and nut. When the one piece nut replaced the two piece, I gave them a try with real world experience. The one part nut/ferrule does not crimp the ferrule into the tube good enough so that the fuel line will not pull out. I bought a bunch of these and after trying them , threw them away!
After I learned that the manufactuers of these nuts stopped production, I had a large order made myself in the USA. These are exact reproductions and look and work as original. There is a large supplier of
Ford parts who sell a nut that is supposed to be like original, but the things are METRIC.(made in China I guess). Edelmann, Weatherhead or Everco do not supply the Ford nuts anymore.
I agree with you Jerry they DO NOT BREAK OFF AS SUPPOSED TO. You have the best ones on the market there made right. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
G.M.

I have used 50 or more of the fittings called "Ford Special Nut" manufactured by Weatherhead one of the most complete suppliers of brass fittings. I never had a problem with one of them. Go to www.royalbrassandhose.com click on catalogs and then click on "entire brass fitting section" then scroll down to page 36 and the fittings are displayed. G.M.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
uncle max

I just stumbled onto a box of 100 Edelmann Ford Nuts (two piece w/ferrule), if anyone needs some.
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
I have used 50 or more of the fittings called "Ford Special Nut" manufactured by Weatherhead one of the most complete suppliers of brass fittings. I never had a problem with one of them. Go to www.royalbrassandhose.com click on catalogs and then click on "entire brass fitting section" then scroll down to page 36 and the fittings are displayed. G.M.
Yes George, but this is the fitting/ferrule combination that is unsatisfactory. You cannot tighten the nut enough to cinch the break off ferrule into the gas line so that the tube will not pull out. This may work on a copper line, I don't know, but it will not work on a steel line. This company or any other does not make or sell the correct "Ford nut". They all have discontinued the nut and substituted the nut/ferrule.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote