Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
DeBordEngineMan

Default Emergency brake lever springs How do you install?

I am installing all new brake system parts on my 29 Tudor Sedan I have Les Andrews book and a set of "How to restore your model A" books but it does not show a detailed picture or description of how to install the spring that go's between the lever on the backing plate. I know that there is a left and right spring just can't figure out how it go's on. If anybody could post a picture of the spring installed that would be great I could figure it out if I could see a picture of it installed. I know that it is a lot of trouble to take a picture of this part but It would be most helpful. Thanks Robert DeBord
DeBordEngineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
George, Iowa

Default Re: Emergency brake lever springs How do you install?

I hope this works. Here is also a handy tool someone else came up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.jpg (79.8 KB, 910 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1585.jpg (41.4 KB, 873 views)
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
MAG

For years I installed them the hard way. Using some kind of hook or heavy wire to pull the spring into the area and somehow twist it over and snap it around the lever Simular to George's pictures. A real pain. Recently I was helping a friend do his brake job and came up with a different method. No tools required. I discovered that I had been assembling all the brake parts and the only thing left to do was the spring. The new approach installs the spring FIRST. Before all the other parts are installed. Procedure as follows:
1. Slip the spring on the E-Brake Actuating Shaft and orient it properly with the straight portion on the housing hub.
2. Install the E-Brake Lever making sure the bent arm (hook)is in front of the Lever.
3. Continue with the brake installation and when the time comes to put the pin in the C Link connecting the E-brake Actuating Shaft it will do so with very little effort.
4. Install the E-Brake Rod.

If you aleady have the brakes assembled you can remove the pin from the C-Link and remove the E-Brake Lever. Then follow the above procedures.

I know fellows.... this sounds too easy because we have all fought this process many times and learned a whole lot of new Englidh terms doing it.
But, think about it. How did they do this job in the factory?
Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
George, Iowa

Thanks MAG. That sounds easier. :-)
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
DeBordEngineMan

Thanks George for the pictures and to MAG for the procedure of installing them sounds to easy to be true but I will give it a try, thanks for the information Robert DeBord
Old 08-10-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
DeBordEngineMan

Thanks MAG I put the emergency brake spring on and it was as simple as falling off a log! WORKS GREAT!!! this procedure was by far the easiest way to put on they just slip on with a snap! Thanks MAG, Robert DeBord
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
pat in Santa Cruz

MAG,
I installed one last week using the pulling method, and started wondering then how they did it in the factory. I assumed they had a special tool and wondered why no one had come up with a blueprint for one yet. Then I had another install to do this evening and I chanced across your tip. What a time saver! That must be how they did it.
thanks for the tip.

Last edited by pat in Santa Cruz; 08-11-2010 at 12:10 AM.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Kevin - Illinois

Did a search today on installing this spring. I used Mag's method and it worked great! Just thought I'd mention it's well worth searching old threads!
Kevin - Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Rusty Homestead Fl

But I thought bleeding and skinned knuckles was a prerequisite!
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
mcpea

I have been trying to get the left side parking brake return spring installed for some time now with little to no luck. I finally ordered some new springs as the old ones are now mutilated beyond repair. I just ran across Mag's solution and will use when my new springs get here. Thanks to Mag for what looks like the solution to this thornyer than most problem.
Mcpea
Austin
mcpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
RockHillWill

Our own Roger V, that posts on this sight has a very nice article in the January-February issue of the Model A Nrews magazine showing two modifies screwdrivers that he figured out. It looks like a great idea to me. Also, I really like to make more tools, LOL.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillWill View Post
Our own Roger V, that posts on this sight has a very nice article in the January-February issue of the Model A Nrews magazine showing two modifies screwdrivers that he figured out. It looks like a great idea to me. Also, I really like to make more tools, LOL.
Same article appeared in the Restorer that I received last night.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Tom Endy

The first effort is to determine which is left and which is right. Years ago at a club seminar the discussion about which was right and left went on for 15-20 minutes. When all finally agreed, it was wrong.

There are also some poor quality springs on the market that are too small, and you will have fits trying to install them. Be careful where you buy them.

The Sept\Oct 2013 Restorer has an article by Les Andrews about how to install the springs. He has made up two tools out of screwdrivers. He also shows a photo of the springs indicating left and right, which is certainly a big help.

My preferred method is to use a coat hanger wrapped around a screw driver handle to pull them into place.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
jkeesey

This has been beaten to death. Here are the only tools needed. The screwdriver has a U shape ground into the tip and the hook tool can be purchased at Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. It is much easier to install original springs rather than old ones but the process is the same. Use the screwdriver to push the spring up behind the arm and then reach around with the hook tool, grab the spring and pull it the rest of the way around. With practice it takes about 30 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake spring tools.jpg (48.8 KB, 249 views)
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
Napa Skip

On pages 8 and 9 of the most recent issue (September/October 2013) of MAFCA's The Restorer is an article entitled "Emergency Brake Return Spring Installation" by (who else?) Les Andrews with pictures of modified screwdrivers used to install the spring, as well as several photos showing the spring being installed.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 09-11-2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #16
bunnyc

Thanks MAG. Your procedure helped me. It was easy to install the spring.
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #17
katy

Thanks for the info about the springs, our CCPU doesn't have them and I didn't know that they were required.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #18
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
For years I installed them the hard way. Using some kind of hook or heavy wire to pull the spring into the area and somehow twist it over and snap it around the lever Simular to George's pictures. A real pain. Recently I was helping a friend do his brake job and came up with a different method. No tools required. I discovered that I had been assembling all the brake parts and the only thing left to do was the spring. The new approach installs the spring FIRST. Before all the other parts are installed. Procedure as follows:
1. Slip the spring on the E-Brake Actuating Shaft and orient it properly with the straight portion on the housing hub.
2. Install the E-Brake Lever making sure the bent arm (hook)is in front of the Lever.
3. Continue with the brake installation and when the time comes to put the pin in the C Link connecting the E-brake Actuating Shaft it will do so with very little effort.
4. Install the E-Brake Rod.

If you aleady have the brakes assembled you can remove the pin from the C-Link and remove the E-Brake Lever. Then follow the above procedures.

I know fellows.... this sounds too easy because we have all fought this process many times and learned a whole lot of new Englidh terms doing it.
But, think about it. How did they do this job in the factory?
Hope this helps.
Good grief, broadcast this info, that is the hardest thing I have done on my 1929 Rdstr PU so far and you knew an easy way. I'll pass that along to my club.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 AM   #19
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The first effort is to determine which is left and which is right. Years ago at a club seminar the discussion about which was right and left went on for 15-20 minutes. When all finally agreed, it was wrong.

There are also some poor quality springs on the market that are too small, and you will have fits trying to install them. Be careful where you buy them.

The Sept\Oct 2013 Restorer has an article by Les Andrews about how to install the springs. He has made up two tools out of screwdrivers. He also shows a photo of the springs indicating left and right, which is certainly a big help.

My preferred method is to use a coat hanger wrapped around a screw driver handle to pull them into place.

Tom Endy
And, beware. I received a new set from a favorite vendor and they were the same. Two lefts or two rights, I forget now. After scratching my head for a day I called and they sent another set.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote